Rethink Your Social Plans Because You Need To Go See 'The Hate U Give' This Weekend

It's so much more than just black and white.

87

So I had the chance to see the film, The Hate U Give, early last weekend at Regal Atlantic Station here in Atlanta. There were fourteen other people in the huge theater space and the movie was about a little over two hours long. After watching the film, I had so many emotions running through my mind and in my heart.

This story was based on true life events of young black men being gunned down by police officers and how not just a neighborhood but a whole community. The writer got inspired by the killing of Oscar Grant and continued writing the novel after the deaths or Trayvon Marvin and Eric Garner. The movie follows a girl named Star who witnesses the murder of her childhood friend by police and the aftermath of his death. She finds her voice not just to speak for him but for the ones who can't.

The Hate U Give | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX www.youtube.com

Now from the average viewer, watching the trailer or a commercial ad on TV for this film will have you feeling two different things: "This movie is for the culture." or "Another black lives matter movie." This movie isn't black or white. It shows us what people go through and live through in the environments they are in. I found Star's story relatable to my own life growing up. Going to school and acting a different way than you are at home just to stay out of trouble and not be labeled as "The Ghetto Black Girl" at her private school that her parents sent her and her brothers too in order for them to have a safe environment than in their neighborhood across town.

There are so many experiences and lessons learned from this movie and so many thought-provoking moments that will have you feeling things you never acknowledged or felt. But you have to go see the film for yourselves to understand why this movie is needed now during the climate our country is in.