A Home Away From Home

A Home Away From Home

There’s no place like home…except for another home.
4

There’s this place I call home, but it’s not my actual home. I only live there for a few weeks out of the year – and that’s if I’m lucky. It feels just as much like a home as my real home though. There is a cute yellow house with lots of windows and a wooden porch. There are trees on either side of it and a small dirt driveway. An old red truck sits to the left, and brightly colored lounge chairs lie in the grass to the right. If you walk less than a mile down the road, you reach a beautiful, sandy beach. I love to spend my summer days here, surrounded by family, friends, and lots of happy dogs. It feels like home because I have so many good memories in this place. It may be eight hours away from my birthplace, my school, and all the familiar sites of my hometown; but I can just as easily picture the roads, shops, and landscapes that make up what I like to call my second home – even when I’ve been away from it for months at a time. I think everybody has a place, besides their true home, that they feel extraordinarily comfortable in. For some people, it may be a friend’s house, a local park, a restaurant, or a camp. For me, that place is on an island in Maine. Whatever it may be, find your home away from home. Find a place that you can escape to every once in a while to find new peace and happiness.