7 Resources To Help Your Seasonal Affective Disorder

Feel A Lil' Better: Because It's Cold And You Need A Warm Hug

445
Frozen 2 / Disney

No matter how good (or bad) you'd describe your health, one thing is for sure: a little boost is ALWAYS a good idea. Whether that's reading a new, motivating book or listening to a song that speaks to your soul, there are plenty of resources to help your health thrive on any given day.

As the winter months are in full effect, your mental health may be feeling the cold's effects. Whether you're experiencing seasonal affective disorder or are simply tired of wearing 97 layers on any given day, don't think you're the only one dealing with a mental health dip. We've all been there, and we're ready to rally together to take on the week.

Each week, we're bringing you the best resources and influencers to give you this mental health boost. Here's what we're following this week to take on seasonal affective disorder.

Book: "The Beautiful Chaos of Growing Up"

Everyone loves a "growing up" story. Facing the anxieties of adulthood (including SAD) is not anyone's favorite activity, but it has to be done. Step out of your story and into someone else's, a new perspective never hurt.

Podcast: Self Helpless

open.spotify.com

If you think that cheerful, funny human beings don't get SAD, you are sorely mistaken my friend. These three BFFs take on the topic that we all know and love, and they give an added chuckle along the way. A win-win.

Instagram influencer: Taylor Stauffer

There are two things you need to know about Taylor Stauffer: she lives in an airstream and she is a strong mental health advocate. She'll relate to you about your SAD while providing a ray of human sunshine into your life — the kind of Insta influencer we all need on our feed!

Twitter account: Stamp Out Stigma

Stamp Out Stigma is looking at all things mental heath and squashing those pre-conceived notions about them. Not only are they letting you know that your struggle is valid, but they're helping you manage it as best as possible. That's the kind of community we're looking for!

YouTuber: Nesting Story

Joanna, the voice behind the account "Nesting Story," is very bold as she shares her struggles with mental health. In this video specifically, she takes the time to break down what seasonal affective disorder has looked like for her and directly impacted her life. Not only does she take on the stigma that "grey days aren't actually that bad," but she shares tips to make those gray days better.

Musician: Sting, "Lithium Sunset" 

It may not be 1995 anymore, but that doesn't mean this throwback is irrelevant to your winter blues. Yes, it sucks that it's dark outside so early and we are practically icicles every time we step out our front door. But, there is a little joy in the gloom of winter, too. Sting does a great job reminding us that there is a peace available in this season.

Bonus: Light therapy lamp

You may not be able to transport to Florida and soak up the rays with those retirees, but you can bring some sun into your home. The Miroco Light Therapy Lamp mimics a sunny day to "lift your mood and enhance your focus." Add to cart, please and thank you.

Is there a wellness resource you'd like to see featured? Send an email to lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com.