The Season Of The Peppermint

The Season Of The Peppermint

Three peppermint recipes to get you into the holiday spirit.

27
The Season Of The Peppermint
Bing Images

I love everything peppermint! This is my favorite season. I consider peppermint a season honestly. It's not 'winter,' it's peppermint season, and its the best season there is. Some of my favorite peppermint candy is peppermint bark. I personally just like to buy the Ghirardelli kind, but you make it at home too. To get everyone in the holiday spirit, because nothing screams holiday like peppermint, I am going to give you guys a few peppermint candy recipes to make this season!

Peppermint Bark

This one comes from one of my favorite people.
It's Paula Deen, y'all!

Yield: about 2 pounds of candy
Great for beginner candy makers, like me!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Inactive time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 cup of crushed candy canes
2 pounds of white chocolate
Peppermint flavorings (optional)

Directions:

Place candy canes in a plastic bag and hammer into 1/4-inch chunks or smaller. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Combine candy cane chunks with chocolate (add peppermint flavoring at this point if desired.) Pour mixture onto a cookie sheet layered with parchment or waxed paper and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from cookie sheet and break into pieces (like peanut brittle).

*A double boiler is not necessary. You can use a pot, a crock pot or even your microwave to melt the chocolate.

Crunchy Peppermint Candy Ice Cream

I don't know about you guys, but ice cream during the winter time is one of my favorite things! So this peppermint ice cream is the perfect snack.

This yields 1 1.2 quarts and only takes 10 minutes!

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups water
1 (14 oz) can EAGLE BRAND Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups light cream
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Combine ingredients in ice cream freezer container; proceed according to manufacture's instructions.
Garnish with additional crushed peppermint candy, if needed.

Foolproof Holiday Fudge

This candy does require a candy thermometer. However, it is fairly easy. This one is courteous of Martha Stewart.

This yields 24 two-inch pieces.

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
3 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
3 cups semisweet or white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy

Directions:

1. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with two sheets of waxed or parchment paper in a crisscross manner (one lengthwise, one crosswise) so ends overhang sides of pan; coat evenly with cooking spray.
  2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar, salt, butter, cream, and marshmallows, stirring, until butter and marshmallows are almost melted, 5 to 6 minutes.
  3. Bring mixture to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chips and vanilla; stir until chips are melted. Pour mixture into lined pan.
  4. Let fudge cool in the pan at room temperature, 3 hours. Use edges of paper to lift out fudge; place on cutting board, and remove paper. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters, or cut fudge into bars. Sprinkle evenly with crushed candy.

Fudge can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.

These are tasty and fun recipes the whole family can help make! It's a great way to get the family in the kitchen and a great way to start the holiday season! Enjoy!