Issue Of The Week: Scott Pruitt's 'Alternative Facts' About The Environment

With Pruitt's position of power manipulating facts about the environment, carbon dioxide's reality may be under fire.

5
Gage Skidmore / Flickr

Scott Pruitt’s constant denial of the environment has reached its pinnacle of absurdity.

What is happening?

Scott Pruitt, elected head of the Environmental Protection Agency of the United States, made a statement on Thursday that carbon dioxide was not a primary contributor to global warming. This level of concerning commentary is coming from the head of the Environmental Protection Agency, the governmental agency responsible for the maintenance of the steadily declining conditions of the environment because of man-made pollution and the residual effects of global warming, both of which are drastically escalating. This also puts him greatly at odds in terms of the interests of the agency, as some of the policies that are being passed deal heavily with the regulation of emissions of carbon dioxide.

This is a statement reflective of not only the intentions of Scott Pruitt but also of the Trump administration. For the Trump administration, it is a definitive statement against all of Barack Obama’s policies, representing the idea that the Trump administration aims to overturn and overhaul every and all environmental policies that were implemented by President Obama. For Scott Pruitt, as reviewed earlier, his ties with various corporations that dominate the oil and non-renewable resource industry make him a rather biased representative in terms of the Environmental Protection Agency. Ulterior motives on the side of Scott Pruitt places him at a position of scrutiny in the eyes of the general population, but his position of head of the EPA grants him sufficient power for manipulation, a position that is highly dangerous for the future of the United States.

Over the next week, the Trump administration is expected to put into effect a series of executive orders that would bring to reality the intentions of the administration, removing the policies of the Obama administration. They will also implement policies that would deregulate the protective influence of the EPA and allow for more open influence and operation of the dominating corporations such as Koch Industries, Shell, Exxon, etc. The issues that are proposed by the EPA that were of high concern are virtually being disregarded in the interest of self-promotion and selfish benefits.

What does this mean?

One of the most important things to keep in mind is the main conflict that is in the horizon based on the statements that were made by Scott Pruitt. The EPA’s definition of carbon dioxide as per the Clean Air Act identifies it as a pollutant, meaning that under this legal stature the EPA is obliged to pass policies to regulate the emission of CO2. In order to object to this, there needs to be substantial proof presented that defines carbon dioxide as not harmful to the environment and the atmosphere, in terms of current available concentration in the environment as well as the effects that the compound has on the environment.

From a less optimistic perspective, this bodes a far more dangerous future, as politicians can manipulate the logistics of passing policies in the United States government in order to pass the desirable policies for the American population so that those in charge can reap the desired rewards. Scott Pruitt’s association with different corporations whose profits come at the cost of jeopardizing the environment is only a normalized precedent that is set in the United States, as politics have gradually devolved into intellectual masturbation as a guise in order to allow the backroom exchanging of money. This only encapsulates the influence of corporate capital domination and the extent of its pervasion.

The Trump administration will have to fight to dethrone scientific consensus about the harms of carbon dioxide on the environment. To understand the value of the environment, there must be sufficient contestation of the legalities that are imposed by the current administration to prevent absolute manipulation of the fundamental aspects of society that maintain and regulate its well-being. This is incredibly crucial at a time where resistance is important, as the administration currently in power is virtually going haywire, with the barrage of executive orders racing the number of excuses that the PR agents must make to justify such acts of irrationality. One college student author can only hope and attempt to inform the populace of the facts that are presented to the population, before those in the position of authority alter them to their hearts' desire in order to create a circumstance that is optimally beneficial for them.

Resistance is crucial, and the time is now.