Science Fiction On Odyssey: Breaking News

Technological advances collapse society.

53

Breaking News.

The rising topic in the criminal justice field is the process of dream interrogation. Recent technology has allowed for the invention of a device that allows an investigator to climb into the brain of a suspect while they are unconscious and go into their thoughts for evidence.

The debate over this new process is whether or not it invades human privacy rights. Traditional investigation techniques could not force someone to disclose any information involuntarily. Prying information from someone's brain brings into question the discussion of consent.

Can someone consent to this internal interrogation if they are unconscious during it? If they consent to it beforehand, then does it become acceptable? In a time of new inventions beyond what we could ever imagine, the answer remains unclear.

To gain some clarity on the topic we brought in the top practicing detective of this technique, Benjamin Rotherford.

Q: Tell me Detective Rotherford, exactly how invasive is this investigation technique?

A: This procedure is not invasive at all. Prior to even beginning this type of investigation, I discuss the side effects and possible complications with the suspect in question. I also remind these suspects that a dream interrogation will completely clear them of any allegations.

Q: Exactly what kind of side effects and complications could arise from an interrogation that delves into the human subconscious?

A: The only possible side effects from this procedure are some disorientation, lapse in memory, and altered memory.

Q: Could an interrogator potentially purposefully alter the memories of a suspect?

A: In every case I have overseen, there has been no evidence to support that an investigator can alter a suspect's mind.

Q: But hypothetically, can an investigator plant the evidence in a suspect's mind that he is guilty or innocent?

A: As I said before, there is no evidence to support that.

Q: Do you see any downsides whatsoever to this form of interrogation?

A: No. There should not be a problem to consenting to this procedure unless someone has something to hide.

Q: Alright. That is all the time we have for this story. Thank you so much for your time Detective.

A: Of course. I hope I could clear up any controversies on the issue.

Onto other news, advanced medical procedures transforming people into semi-cyborgs have increasing complications leaving people across the nation disabled for life. The inventor of these surgeries is now being held in custody.

The authorities have yet to disclose his name. This suspect allegedly altered the test results allowing the surgery to move onto human test trials. The results have been devastating. He faces life in prison with no parole. The worst outcome of a surgery allegedly involves removal of an arm, leg, and eye, all for robotic replacement. Rejection of these transplants leave patients with missing limbs and no future hope.

In this time of advancing technology, we at channel three news advise everyone to be cautious out there. Of course, no one can forget the late Taylor Rhimes who tragically died last year from a droid malfunction. We hope to see you again tomorrow for the five o'clock news.