6 Reasons That School Is The Worst Place To Get Sick

Mom, what medicine is best for a cold?

116
Instagram

While being sick is never a good thing, it’s even worse when you’re away at school. One of the perks of being stuck in bed when you’re at home is having your mom wait on you hand and foot in order to nurse you back to health. Not having your mother there to comfort you through the pain can make it seem like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel, and that is just one of many downfalls to fighting an illness at school.

1. Walking to class sucks.

Long walks at 9 a.m. already suck, but when you add in a headache, it’s even more unpleasant. Especially if you’re achy, carrying a backpack might feel like carrying an elephant.

2. ...but it’s not as bad as actually sitting through class.

Trying to listen to a boring lecture on a normal day might seem unbearable. But when every sound makes your head feel like it’s that much closer to exploding, class time is even worse. Attempting to focus and comprehend what your professor is saying is nearly impossible when you have to get up every 2 minutes to blow your nose.

3. Once one person on your floor gets sick, everybody gets sick.

If you live in a dorm, you know that sicknesses spread like wildfire. Because you are living in such close quarters, there is no such thing as personal space. If one person on your floor gets a cold, it’s very probable that you will end up with it too. And if your roommate gets sick, there’s absolutely no chance you won’t.

4. Not having your mom to take care of you makes you feel like the world is ending.

The only perk of being under the weather is having your mom wait on you until you get better. Being at school means there’s no one to bring you tea when your throat hurts or Gatorade when you’re dehydrated. However, she’s only a phone call away, and can always remind you what medicines you should be taking and when.

5. Not being able to go out with your friends.

Nothing describes FOMO more than watching your friends get dressed up and ready to party while you’re in bed with tissues and Nyquil. The never-ending Snapchats and pictures that invade your feed make you feel more alone than Rapunzel in her tower!

6. Not having the energy to keep up with school work.

Being sick takes a lot out of you. Most of your minimal amount of energy Is probably being put towards getting yourself healthy again, which doesn’t leave much drive to do school work. When you’re not feeling well, you dread even the smallest of assignments, for the concentration they require is not feasible with a bad cold.