School Can't Thrive Without Art

School Can't Thrive Without Art

"The Earth without art is just 'eh.'" -- Unknown

705
School Can't Thrive Without Art
Connecticut College

School budgets are constantly under stress, and unfortunately, cuts have to be made. While schools not getting enough funding is a whole separate issue, one of the places where too many cuts are made in the arts. As an education major, I've heard countless times how important a complete education is. This means moving beyond "core classes" (like English, history, math, and science) and including P.E., foreign language, and arts in the curriculum. So why are the arts the first thing to get cut? Why aren't they valued as much as other courses?

Physical education classes are important -- they help to get students moving during the day and break up the monotony of sitting at a desk all day. Foreign language classes are important -- there are a myriad of benefits to children learning or being exposed to more than one language. But what is it that makes the arts important?

There are so many benefits to the arts, some which studies have proven and some which arts students have attested to time and time again. In interviews with former and current arts students, I was able to understand some of the benefits better, with their personal stories and experiences with the arts.

1. The arts can improve academic performance.

"I am currently getting a 3.89 GPA in college and I do not think I would have such good grades if it weren't for theatre. The arts teach you to be disciplined and independent. I strive only for greatness and do not settle for anything less. The arts have definitely taught me this." -- Ally, Western Connecticut State University

Not everyone I talked to cited a notable difference in their GPAs because of the arts, but Ally isn't the only person to realize there is a correlation between art and her achievement. According to an Americans for the Arts report, "Young people who participate regularly in the arts are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement."

2. The arts can increase cultural awareness.

"I definitely believe that the arts have helped me to understand the variety of people and problems in the world, and to support other who are different than me. There is so much diversity within the arts; they help us bring acceptance into everyday life." -- Cecily, University of North Carolina Wilmington

The arts are one of the most diverse group of programs out there. From learning about artists from different times and places and musicians from all around the world, to the wide variety of theatrical shows, cultural awareness and acceptance is practically built in to arts programs. It even moves beyond Cecily's recognition of different people and problems in the world; the arts teach children "to recognize the choices and artist or designer makes" and to "understand the concept that what they see may be someone's interpretation of reality."

3. They promote better connections.

"The band became an outlet for my creative abilities and it changed who I was as a person. I began to socialize more with people and grow as my skills grew." -- Nick, University of Connecticut

The arts promoting better connections between peers is almost a logical benefit in addition to a scientifically proven one. Because of an increased awareness of others and acceptance of differences, that makes it easier for students to connect to others. Champions of Change: The Impact of Arts on Learning did find that students could connect better with their peers, especially with the great understanding of diversity that comes with the arts. Nick's growing socialization through the arts is just one example of how the arts allow for better connections.

4. They provide a different outlet.

"Music and art can be used to help kids express their feelings. They don't have to use words to express them -- they can draw how they feel in a painting and can use music to express emotions that way. It gives kids another outlet instead of what they're told to do in other classes." -- Jess, Western Connecticut State University

As Jess pointed out to me in her interview, the arts let students express their emotions where other "core classes" may not give students the same opportunity (if any) to really express their emotions. The expression the arts provide isn't only helpful to students who need to express their emotions, but also to those who can't express them well. Art therapy has become popular for people with autism, especially since their verbal expression can be extremely difficult.

These aren't the only benefits to arts education -- there are countless developmental benefits (especially when children are exposed at a young age), and the arts also create the world around us.

"The next generation does have a lot of creationists, a lot of people who are into art and music. They could be the next Van Gogh or Spielburg and I think the fact that that's over looked is kind of ridiculous." - Joe, Western Connecticut State University

Without arts programs, students may not have to chance to realize that they want to make music, or the chance to foster the talent they have. The arts and education need to go hand in hand, so we can help build up the next generation of artists, just like we help build up the next generation of scientists in chemistry classes. Although school budgets are under stress and cuts have to be made, we can't let the arts take the bulk of the cuts. They are just as important as the rest of the education process.