No, I DON'T Want To Go To A College Far From Home, And No, I WON'T Regret It

I will be able to go out with my friends Friday night and go to church Saturday night with my family.

133
Lizz Braun

I do not want to go away to school.

There seems to be a stigma about staying home and commuting to school, but I do not and will never understand it. I do like my home, my family, and my room, but there is more to it than that.

I have anxiety about going away.

Whenever I talk about it or even think about it, I get distraught. I have no idea where it comes from. I have always dreamt of going away, but now that it is getting closer and closer and I have to start looking at schools, it is getting crazy.

My list of schools that once had 15 schools on it from all around New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Massachusetts, now only has two schools that are 20 minutes away from my house.

It is crazy what anxiety can do to a person. It can change someone's future, it sure as hell is changing mine. I honestly do not mind it. I like my house; I love being home for Sunday night dinners and birthdays and my siblings sporting events. If I do go away to school, I know that within a month I would be begging for my parents to let me come home.

I might be staying home, but my college experience will be amazing.

I will be able to go out with my friends Friday night and go to church Saturday night with my family. I can still go to parties and join clubs. I can and will have a great time at the school I end up transferring to, and no you do not get a say in what I do. I will not regret it when I see pictures and videos of my friends away at school all over social media. If there is anyone that says else wise, tell them to keep walking because it is your life and no one can tell you what to do in the end.

Everyone is different, so everyone's college experience is different.

I used to dream of going to the same school as my dad. I love that school so much, but I cannot mentally, physically, or emotionally handle going away to school. Yes, it would be nice to be a legacy student, but as much alike as I to my father, I am not him. I will always love the school, but staying home and commuting is what is right for me. My options may be limited, but the two local schools are both fantastic for majoring in education.

So while you may have a great time six hours away being 1 of 30,000 students, I will have a tremendous time twenty minutes away being 1 of 3,000.