7 Scholarships And Fellowships Every Undergrad Should Know About

Funding grad school may not be as impossible...

149
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/11/15/636463746520957483-1221722391_scholarships-and-bursaries-hero.jpg

Scholarships equal money. And what college student doesn't need/want more money so they aren't in a ridiculous amount of debt at the end of their education? Here are 7 scholarships and fellowships every undergraduate can apply for.

1. The Gilman Scholarship

For: Study Abroad

Funded by the U.S. Department of State, the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship enables Pell Grant receiving American students to study abroad. Though they consider all students (who meet financial criteria), it is highly recommended that students show some type of circumstance under which study abroad is usually not an option for them.

This could be ranging from having a major that doesn’t particularly include an international component (STEM, for example) to not being financially able to study abroad. Scholarships can value up to $5,000, however for students studying a critical need language (click here for the full list of critical need languages) a supplementary scholarship of up to $3,000 can be given, making the total value up to $8,000.

The best part of Gilman is that there is no GPA barrier, however, a stronger GPA does reflect well on the students’ part. Gilman is offered for fall, spring and summer semesters (keep in mind your study abroad program must be longer than 3 and a half weeks to qualify).

2. Ford Pre-Doctoral Scholarships

For: Students Pursuing a Ph.D./Sc.D.

The Ford Predoctoral Scholarship enables students to pursue a 3-year research-oriented Ph.D. or Sc.D. (not practice-oriented). During your three years, you will be fully funded for your research endeavors.

However, this exceptional scholarship comes with a commitment as well. This scholarship places a heavy emphasis on teaching careers, ultimately gearing towards a career as a professor. If you aren’t planning on being a professor, then this scholarship is definitely not the best fit for you.

The Ford Predoctoral Scholarship is open to U.S. Citizens, permanent residents and individuals granted deferred action status under DACA, making it available for a plethora of students.

Being an extremely competitive scholarship, applicants should have an excellent academic record, previous experience in research, and a plan of study for graduate school.

3. UCLA Law Distinguished Scholars & UCLA Law Achievement Fellowship

For: Students Pursuing a J.D. at UCLA

While there is a myriad of funding opportunities available to students pursuing a Ph.D. or Master’s, funding a professional degree such as a J.D. or M.D. can seem especially hard.

In today’s world, graduating from law school can mean six figures in debt. Thankfully, the University of California-Los Angelos is making a stride to change that. UCLA Law offers two options for students demonstrating an exceptional academic record.

The Law Distinguished Scholars program accepts a small number of students and covers their tuition for three years. The Law Achievement Fellowship does the same but for students demonstrating the ability to persevere through a major obstacle in their life.

For California residents, the total cost of attendance is covered for three years, and for non-California residents, the total cost of attendance is covered for the first year and the California resident cost of attendance is covered for the two remaining years.

Although this isn’t a full scholarship for non-residents, it’s an overwhelming majority of the debt they would otherwise face.

4. National Health Service Corps Scholarship

For: Students Pursuing an Advanced Medical Degree (Physicians, Dentists, Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants)

Funding medical school or an advanced medical degree can seem daunting in an age where everyone is in the premed frenzy. The National Health Service Corps Scholarship is a literal blessing for those interested in such a profession.

This scholarship covers tuition fees, other educational expenses and provides a living stipend in return for at least two years’ worth of work at an NHSC-approved location in a medically underserved community.

For each year worth of assistance, you must dedicate a year in return of practice at an underserved community after graduation. While in a service, these scholars still earn a salary from the employing facility. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen and enrolled full-time at an accredited university.

5. Public Policy and International Affairs (PPIA) Program

For: Rising Seniors Interested in Public Affairs or International Affairs

The PPIA fellowship program enables a rising senior to spend the summer before senior year at one of their Junior Summer Institutes, studying economics, statistics, domestic/international policy issues and leadership topics.

The total cost of the program, travel, meal vouchers, and a living stipend is provided by the fellowship as well. Students applying must have the intent of getting their Master’s upon graduation from college.

Upon completion, fellows will receive a one-time $5,000 scholarship to graduate school. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, although international students can apply to the UC Berkeley or Princeton programs.

6. The Knight-Hennessey Scholarship

For: Stanford Graduate Applicants (M.A., J.D., M.B.A., M.D., Ph.D., M.S.)

The Knight-Hennessy Scholarship provides upcoming graduate students who display the ability to be a global leader with an all-expenses-paid graduate degree. The founders of the Knight-Hennessy program understand that there is no one, set degree to create the leaders of tomorrow, which is why they are looking for a diverse set of graduate students.

In addition to funding for their graduate course of study, Knight-Hennessy scholars also receive additional leadership training and educational opportunities. Applicants must apply for this scholarship separately from their application to a Stanford graduate program. There are no citizenship requirements, however, applicants must be endorsed by their university.

7. Foreign Affairs Information Technology Fellowship

For: Information Technology Students

Each year, the Foreign Affairs IT fellowship awards two undergraduate and three graduate students the opportunity to start their career in the U.S. Department of State’s Foreign Service.

For undergraduates, this means up to $37,500 a year in tuition for their junior and senior year of college and for graduate students the same amount is given for the last two years of study. Two summer internships: one in D.C. and one at a U.S. Embassy abroad, with transportation and housing taken care of.

Fellows will be mentored under a Foreign Service Information Management Specialist for the entirety of the program. Upon graduation and successful completion of the program, students are employed by the Department of State Foreign Service (given they pass entry requirements).

Applicants must be U.S. Citizens studying at an accredited U.S. institution with the intent to graduate by spring 2020. GPA requirements suggest a 3.2+ on a 4.0 scale.