10 Things Incoming Freshmen Should Know Before Attending Suffolk County Community College (Ammerman Campus)

Here are some important things that I believe you need to know.

345
http://emtec-engineers.com/portfolio_page/suffolk-community-college/

Here are some points I believe are beneficial to recognize for the upcoming freshmen at Suffolk County Community College.

1. Do not expect the classes to be easy. Even though it is "Suffolk".

Just because Suffolk is a community college does not mean it is easier than other schools. The classes are hard and most professors do not give you the easy pass just because you go to a community college. It is the same education you would be getting somewhere else! The programs at Suffolk that demand you to apply in order to get in are competitive. You have to work hard to get a spot in such a small amount of spots that are actually open.

2. Textbooks are extremely expensive.

I literally only had 3 cents left in my checking account after buying textbooks, HA! They are super expensive. You truly don't realize how great you had it in high school when you were given textbooks. Half the time you won't even need the textbook. That's the most annoying part. You spend all of your money on each textbook and then you hardly use them all semester!

3. The book store the first couple weeks of school are crazy.

The lines are crazy. It is super crowded and jammed packed! I always try to avoid going into the bookstore for books every semester. It is super overpriced and too hectic. A quick trip for one book could take you a very long time. Ordering books on Amazon or Chegg is way easier and a lot cheaper!

4. Taking a gym class isn't totally that bad after all.

Yes, who wants to take a gym class in college I know. But honestly you don't realize how much time you don't have to work out in college. Finding time to go to school, do your homework, work and have somewhat of a social life it is difficult to find energy and time to work out. In my gym class I took I never sweated so much in my life! It was such a great workout and I enjoyed it so much. It is not like high school gym class where everyone just stands there. It is more enjoyable since you get to pick what activity you will be doing that semester. You don't have to be a super in shape person to take a gym class. If you are always there and participate to the best of your ability you will be fine.

5. Parking is terrible. REALLY TERRIBLE.

I remember my first day at Suffolk. I remember my older sister who goes to Suffolk, telling me how the parking is highly limited. I didn't think it would be that horrible but it really is. You seriously will fight with people for parking spots. I suggest going to school a little eariler to find a spot.

6. 8 AM classes are dreadful.

If you like getting up early, lucky you, 8am's shouldn't be difficult for you. When you have a lot of homework the night before and have work, waking up for your 8am's are painful. Too early to function. I feel bad for some people who have 6:30 am classes.

7. People drive crazy around campus.

I am not saying everyone at Suffolk doesn't know how to drive. I am saying there are a handful of people that are either in a rush or just want to leave that drive super fast and reckless. I am not doing 60 MPH around campus, so don't beep at me when I am not.

8. Having breaks in between your classes are the best.

I know some people don't like to have a big gap between classes. Sometimes having 1, 2, or 3 hours in between classes could be really beneficial. This gives you some time to do your homework at school so when you get home you can do whatever you want to do.

9.. There is no WiFi at school.

Why does it say you have WiFi on your phone but nothing connects, you can't use your laptop to write a paper or do your homework?! It is really frustrating. Hopefully they fix this problem for this fall.

10. Make sure you use up all your money on your ID card after the spring semester.

Every semester on your ID card you get 100 dollars to spend on food. That money transfers over for the spring semester and you get another 100 on your card. But what some people do not know till the last week of the spring semester is that money you have on your card does not transfer over again. You do not get it back. So try and use up all your money every semester because who wants to lose money, right?