Saying No Does Not Require An Explanation

Saying no can be a very simple answer, if you allow it to be.

87

We can all think back on a time where the word "no" felt so out of reach. It may have been when a boy asked you out and you felt pressured not to let him down in front of his friends. Maybe when all of your friends got offered drugs and you felt as though you might lose them if you didn't join in. Or even when the boy you liked told you he loved you to get you into bed, and you changed your views or values to make him happy. We have all been put in very uncomfortable, unforgettable and more often then not, very unforgiving situations.

Saying no should be as easy as suggesting not going to a seafood restaurant because you just simply do not like seafood. Saying no should be as easy to everyone as it is to your parents. Now, granted that may not be the best decision to make, or there might be a grounding in the near future, but you feel very strongly against doing the dishes and who do you feel the most comfortable saying no to than to your family? You're allowed to say no to anything, even more so if it goes against your values, morals, likes or dislikes. Our family and our friends shape those things as we grow up. Friends remind you why you deserve someone who will put you first, who will respect you and who can understand the difference between yes and no, no matter how big or small it may be. Your family raised you by following the rules and understanding the difference between yes and no. Family reminds you that sometimes your friends may not have your best interests in mind, and you take that into consideration because you respect them. You respect both, because you understand both, and you listen to those who listen to you.

School has taught us a lot more than how to solve math equations you will never use again in your life, or learning George Washington's favorite color. It has taught us the difference between right and wrong. Math has taught us that there is either a right or wrong answer, either a yes or no. History has taught us to learn from others mistakes. Science has taught us that we can learn from trial and error. Foreign language classes have taught us that everyone hears yes and no in many different ways and forms and you need to be able to communicate in a way that is understandable to everyone. But most importantly, English class has taught us how to express how we feel, how to understand how other people feel, how to interpret thoughts and feelings in many different ways. It has taught us that there are other ways to say yes or no. "I don't feel comfortable with doing that" is just one of many ways that English has taught us to politely say no.

Saying no to sex or drugs is OKAY if you do not feel comfortable. Saying no to getting in a car with someone who has a few too many drinks because you don't have another way home is OKAY if you do not feel comfortable. Saying no to committing a crime is OKAY if you don't feel comfortable. Saying no to anything that does not make you feel comfortable is OKAY. Saying no is OKAY.

We should never feel obligated to say yes because we may feel as if we owe someone something. We need to teach people that not pressuring others into something is a way to eliminate someone from feeling like yes is the only answer. "No" is a simple answer and does not need to be followed with an explanation.

I have said no to many situations that have worked out in my best interests. Saying no to drugs has lead me down the right path to my dream job. Saying no to friends has taught me who my real friends are. Saying no to a concert has showed me that even though it felt like the end of the world, my life wasn't over. I have said no to many situations and opportunities. Some may be because I was scared, and most I have forgot about because I allowed myself to make a better decision. It has lead me to amazing friends, amazing job opportunities and a life that I am proud to live. Saying no does not make you "prude" or a "goody-too-shoes," it makes you, you, and I promise you there are people out there who also say no. Saying no can be a very simple answer, if you allow it to be.

Saying no is OKAY.