To The Summer-Bound Student, It's Not A 'Goodbye,' It's A 'See Ya In 3 Months'

It may seem like the hardest thing to leave your friends for what seems like an eternity.

71
Macarena Calzado

Dear outgoing college freshman (or any college student, really),

You're probably full of all the feels right now. On one hand, you are so ready to go home. You are finished with all of your finals (finally) and haven't seen your family in literally forever. You miss your mom, your dad, your pet, your brother, your sister or whoever you call family back home. Summer is here, and it's about time you get a chance to relax (or work all summer to make money). Yet, on the other hand, you are leaving a whole life behind in your college town for the whole summer. Although you may not have realized it before move-out day, you have built a whole life at your university.

As a sophomore, I can tell you that the feels do not go away after your freshman year. After a whole extra year, you become even closer to your friends (I know, you probably didn't think that would be possible). The idea of leaving them for three months is still all too daunting. But don't worry, it will be okay. Three months has nothing on friendships that have endured entire semesters full of memories (both good and bad)! You will see your friends in three months, and your friendships will be stronger than ever.

But, in the meantime, I know it seems terrifying not seeing the people you have hung out with every day for an entire year. For me, the girls I have become friends with are the ones I go to for everything on campus. No matter good or bad, I go to them for advice, love and support. And yes, it is weird as heck not having them a five-minute walk from my bedroom door. But don't forget, FaceTime is a thing. And so are phone calls and text messaging. Just because you don't see your friends every day doesn't mean that you can't talk to them anymore. Don't be a stranger. Keep them updated on your life because your happiness and accomplishments mean as much to them as their own! I know I get overjoyed when a college friend texts me during the summer.

And hey, summer is all about road trips! I know I plan on making a trip to visit one of my college best friends this summer. The school year isn't the only time to make memories. Use the time in the summer (maybe in between jobs if you are working) to visit a college pal if they're close by and experience what life in their hometown is like.

But all in all, just remember that this is not goodbye. It's, "See ya in three months!" It may seem like the hardest thing to leave your friends for what seems like an eternity. But time goes so fast. Enjoy your summer and take it to actually relax and recharge. Your friends will be there when you get back. Don't worry. The friendship bonds you've made over questionable decisions and long homework nights this semester won't be broken over three months of not seeing each other.