Saying Goodbye To 100.3 The Sound

Saying Goodbye To 100.3 The Sound

A farewell to the greatest radio station.

6056
Saying Goodbye To 100.3 The Sound
thesoundla / Instagram

It happened when I was 3 years old, I heard “Walk this Way” by Aerosmith for the first time and I was hooked. Rock and Roll hit me like it did for the kids when The Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. I remember I used to carry around a portable CD player so I could hear Rock and Roll whenever I wanted to. I carried around Aerosmith’s Greatest Hits, Madman Across the Water by Elton John and The Joshua Tree by U2. Growing up in the Los Angeles Metro Area was extremely influential on my musical taste. We had so many options when it came to classic rock radio.

My favorite radio station was 100.3 The Sound, which played classic rock in a different way than anyone else did. From deep cuts to album sides to triple play Thursdays, there was nothing that could compare. If it was not for The Sound, I would not have discovered some of my favorite bands and albums.

When I moved to Alabama in 2016 I never parted with The Sound. I always had their app playing whenever I needed to hear that Rock and Roll music. I literally grew up with 100.3 The Sound. I idolized all the artists they played and wanted to be one myself. I ended up becoming a multi-instrumentalist learning all these songs that they would play on the station.

I recently got the report that 100.3 The Sound would be shutting down and turning into a Christian radio station.

I thought it was a joke until I read up a little more. Unfortunately, it is true, and there’s nothing we can do about it. Shock and sadness were just a few things going through my head when I first heard the news.

I now listen to The Sound whenever I get the chance, knowing one day I will not have that opportunity anymore. This is also a devastating loss for the Classic Rock community, especially in California. The Sound has always been a key component in keeping Classic Rock and music with instruments relevant.

As much as I am disappointed, I appreciate all that 100.3 The Sound did for classic rock, for the people of California, and for me personally.