Say Goodbye To Indecision And Hello To Confident Decision Making

Be ready to make your own choices.

16

I don't know about you, but I would consider myself a people pleaser, and by that, I mean I prefer to make decisions that are accepted by the majority, rather than the minority.

I struggle with making my own choices without asking for numerous opinions. I struggle with making decisions that my closest loved ones may disagree with. Maybe this fault of mine stems from my fear of making the wrong choice... or perhaps from simply being unable to trust myself.

I have been told I rely too heavily upon others to make my own choices. If that same problem resonates with you, then you are aware that even the simplest decisions can bring feelings of unnecessary nervousness and worry. You just want to always do what's right so you don't have to deal with the negative consequences of making the wrong choice, right?

Because I am currently learning and striving to make my own decisions with confidence, and because I know how frustrating it can be when I can't come to a peaceful conclusion by myself, I have compiled a list of six simple ways to help even the most indecisive people start the path of confident decision making.

1. Accept that there is always the possibility of failure. It's OK if you make the wrong choice by accident. Life does not stop and you are only human.

2. Know that everything always happens for a reason. Repeating that mantra will take the pressure off of perfectionism.

3. Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Sometimes it's better to reflect and come to your own decision PRIOR to seeking advice. Use the advice to compare, but if you feel good about your decision, stick with it.

4. Know that everyone has a different way of thinking. We all have different beliefs. Take pride in your uniqueness and know that a decision that may not be right for someone else may be very good for you (or vice versa).

4. Get in touch with your intuition. Trust that initial gut-instinct. it is usually right.

5. Don't be impulsive. It's OK to take some time (especially for big decisions). Sleep on it and make a pro/cons list if you have to.

6. Think about the long-term. A certain decision may seem right in a certain moment, but will it be proven beneficial in the long run? Thinking about the future is sometimes necessary and tends to lead to smarter decisions (A.K.A. more confidence!)

You are smarter than you think and you have the power to make the best choices for you. Learning to make your own decisions confidently may not be easy, but that is why it is considered an art that takes time to master. You just have to believe you can do it.