6 Tips For Cheap Travel

6 Tips For Traveling More While Spending Less

Chances are you did not get to spend your week lounging on a tropical beach sipping a Pina Colada out of a coconut due to financial restraints.

126
Girl

Spring break has just passed and chances are you did not get to spend your week lounging on a tropical beach sipping a Pina Colada out of a coconut, due to financial restraints. (For those of you who did, thank you for rubbing it in all over Instagram.) Traveling can be financially tough and intimidating, especially on the average college student. Below are some tips to help you get out and explore the beautiful rock that is Earth.

1. Hopper

The first step that every trip requires is transportation. The majority of travel destinations cannot be reached without flying, so the Hopper app is a huge life-saver. Hopper can check for flight prices, recommend when you should leave/return for better prices and will alert you upon when to buy your flight ticket, ensuring the absolute best price possible.

2. Rome2Rio

If it is possible to get to your destination without flying, or possible to land one place and take a bus, train, ferry, etc., then you should check out Rome2Rio. They will give you many different options that will give you the opportunity to decide what works best for your trip.

3. Airbnb

I am sure that almost everybody who has access to the Internet has heard of Airbnb, but if you haven't, let me explain.

Airbnb is basically an app that allows individuals to rent out either rooms, apartments, or even entire houses for guests to stay in for typically short durations. It is the Uber equivalent of hotels.

It is generally easy for a person to find a place to stay for relatively cheap through Airbnb. I had to use it when I missed a connecting flight and was stuck in Chicago recently for a night. I found a comfortable, safe, and clean apartment about 10 minutes away from the airport for only $50 for the night!

4. Book a room with a kitchen

Having a kitchen in wherever you're staying can be very smart when it comes to saving money. Having to eat out every time you need a meal can be extremely costly and sometimes plain old snacks just do not cut it. Do a little grocery shopping upon your arrival to your destination and you will end up having enough food for your trip, costing no more than a night out and some drinks.

5. Stay outside of the city

Typically, we pay for a location. Finding somewhere to stay just outside of the main city in which you are visiting can be super pocket-savvy. In general, the cost of staying in a city will greatly outweigh the bit you pay for having to take an Uber to your destinations 10 minutes away.

6. Hostels

If you would REALLY like to avoid spending on where your staying, the next cheapest option would be staying in a hostel. Hostels are found all throughout the EU, as well as in many Asian countries. Hostels are basically equivalent to living in a dorm room with a few other strangers, typically in twin beds, sometimes bunk beds.

Quick tip: When it comes to transportation when you reach your destination, obviously walking is ideal. If you find yourself within a city in Europe, they are typically fairly easy to navigate by foot. Since you're already on your feet checking out the city, you're definitely going to be looking for something fun to do. Skip the pricey tours and talk to locals! Chances are they know where the real authentic fun is located!

Utilize these tips, apps, and websites to get the most out of your trip! Enjoy life while you're young because time is something you can never get back.

Safe travels!