7 Ways To Support Aleppo Refugees From Your Bed

What's happening, and what you can do about it right now.

30
Pri

If you haven’t heard about what has been happening in Aleppo this past week,

...or you have heard, but brushed it aside because you didn’t really understand the situation,

...or you fully understand, but just feel like there is really nothing that you can do about it as an individual living thousands of miles away...

This is for you.

For those that don’t really know what is happening or why, let’s go back a few years.

When protesters began organizing to demand an end to the corruption carried out by their President, Bahsar al-Assad, government forces displayed zero tolerance. They attempted to nip the acts of dissent in the bud in March, 2011, by opening fire on demonstrators at a rally, killing several people, while injuring and traumatizing many more.

The government’s attempt did not thwart the rebels’ spirit, however, but rather triggered nationwide uproar and encouraged many more Syrian citizens to take to the streets and fight for their freedom. After more violent reactions from the Syrian government, protesters eventually took up arms to defend themselves, and very quickly formed brigades in order to reclaim their homes from the control of security forces.

By the time the fighting had reached the Syrian capital of Damascus and the city of Aleppo in 2012, the country was fully immersed in a civil war.

The UN estimated that over 90,000 people had been killed in the conflicts by June of 2013.

This estimate climbed to over 250,000 by the end of 2015.

Since the start of it all, the conflict has grown into more than just Those For vs. Those Against the rule of their President. Many other countries and groups have become involved, and the rebel side has become rather divided- all just making the conflict more layered and complicated.

Nearly 5 million Syrian citizens have fled the country since this all started, while around 6.5 million are displaced within the borders of the country. As far as the entire population of Syria, by the end of 2015, about 70% of them didn’t have adequate drinking water, one in three people could not meet their basic food needs, more than 2 million children were out of school, and four out of five people were living in poverty.

Now, with all this happening, why have we been hearing so much about Aleppo in particular?

Aleppo used to be Syria’s largest city with a population around 2.3 million. It was the country’s center for industry, finance, culture, and history. The city remained divided roughly in half between government and rebel forces until recently. A few month’s ago, Syrian government attempted a final, hard push to take control of the remaining rebel-held half of the city. This has involved many violent attacks on civilians, some of which involved entering homes and killing innocent people on the spot. The UN has described it as "a complete meltdown of humanity."

Fearing for their lives under this siege, many civilians began sending out there final messages via social media. Some of the messages were a plea for help from the rest of the world, like this one from young activist, Lina Shamy.

Others seemed to have nearly abandoned all hope, simply saying goodbye. Some of these include seven-year-old Bana and her mother, Fatemah.

By December 13, 2016, over 90% of the city was under government control, and thousands of civilians had been squeezed into the small parts that still remained under the control of the opposition. A ceasefire was declared in order to allow the remaining citizens to leave the city, but this agreement was later broken, keeping them trapped with dwindling resources, and no access to healthcare.

With the rebel side defeated in Aleppo, Syrian government now has control over the country's four largest cities. It is possible that President Assad believes that this gain will help his side bring the civil war to an end, however, the country is already in ruins. The damage has been done. And more likely than ending the war, this defeat will only conceive a new breed of aggression on the rebel side. Without the world's help, there is no telling what new horrors are in store for Syria.

Knowing all of this, one may feel rather powerless. It can feel easier to shy away, feign ignorance, or shrug and decide that you don’t have the means to change anything as an individual.

We cannot, as humans, choose the easy option.

There are many things that you can do right now that will actually make a difference for the people suffering for their freedom.

1. Support Doctors Without Borders

They provide medical assistance to many war-torn countries, including Syria. The organization was running two hospitals in Aleppo that were destroyed in November, but many of the workers have remained in the city to aid the civilians that have been injured. You can donate to their organization here.

2. Support The White Helmets

This volunteer group organized to help people in Syria that have been victims of government air attacks. They search through the remains of buildings for survivors, help civilians repair their homes, and provide medical care to those injured. You can learn more about them and donate here. 100% of donations will go toward their efforts.

3. Support Save The Children

This organization is working with displaced and refugee children and families that have been affected by the conflicts in Syria. Learn more about their efforts and help their cause here.

4. Support Mercy USA

This organization is working to build a clinic outside of Aleppo in the near future. Right now, they are providing stoves and fuel to displaced families. Learn more about their continuing strides and donate here.

5. Support the UNHCR

The UNHCR is the United Nation’s refugee agency. They work globally to provide refugees with necessities including items for personal hygiene, sleeping bags, and medicine. As of December 12, they were distributing such items to thousands of those displaced from Aleppo. You can support them here.

6. Support refugees

End the stigma and fear surrounding refugees. Voice your support for the nations of the world to offer a home to the people that have lost everything. Contact congress members. Make phone calls, send emails, write letters. Demand that your leaders to band together and create a plan to accept more refugees. You can also donate to Questscope, which supports families that have relocated to Jordan, and are in need of the most basic resources. You can also donate to the Migrant Offshore Aid Station, which helps refugees make the treacherous journey across the sea in order to re-build their lives in Europe.

7. Talk about it.

Do not remain silent on the crisis that is happening on our planet. Talk about it. Educate yourself more on the subject so that you can educate others. If you cannot afford to donate to these organizations, pass this information along to people that can. If you can donate, tell others know how easy it was give. Let them know that they can help too, even if it is just a little. Do anything other than staying silent. The people of Syria are begging us to speak. They have been pleading for peace and justice for years, and right now they feel like nobody has listened. Use the rights that you have been blessed with to demand for the rights of others. As a member of the human race, it is our responsibility to be a voice for the voiceless.

Do what you can. Do everything that you can. Encourage others to do the same.

Save Aleppo. Save Syria. Save Humanity.