Saving Face on Facebook

Saving Face on Facebook

6

Social media: our generation's double-edged sword. It's unique to us because we were some of the first youths to grow up with it. I personally went as far back as Xanga (eek!), Myspace and have had a Facebook account since 2009.

It's the networking web that connects us all. It allows us to share our lives with our friends and family on a regular basis. It gives us the chance to present our personality to the entire world. We post statuses of current events in our lives, photos of what we are doing and links that go along with trends ("Did you take that Buzzfeed Quiz?"). We are essentially marketing ourselves to the Internet.  You don't believe me? Type your name into a search engine and see what you find.

Although I am the Vice President of Public Relations for my chapter, I don't want to lecture you on your own personal PR. But I do want to open your eyes to some of your potential actions.

We're students. Ultimately here to learn, find our passions and find a job. I'm crossing my fingers that many of you didn’t attend Ohio State in hopes of attaining a M.R.S. degree, but to each their own.

The job market is scary. I plan on graduating next spring and I'm terrified. What if I don't get a job? What if I have to move back in with my parents? What if I'll have to keep my job as a server at my parent's restaurant forever? I can't stand the thought.

The reason I bring this up is because in order to get a job, you're going to have to start now… on social media. Recruiters most likely won't be entertained by your keg stand or how many times you slapped the bag at the Toga party last week. Posting about your hangover or your walk of shame are not traits that you'll want to market to your potential employer.

But I see these things happening on a daily basis. Why? Yes, we're all comedian college students fighting to the death for a "like" or "retweet" but don't put your future at risk for that social "high."

I'm not telling you to stop having fun, to stop drinking or to stop taking pictures. Take the pictures! Embrace your youth and these college memories! But be smart enough to know what to post and what to keep in your photo library. Text your friends that "FML" moment instead of Tweeting it. Take your eyes off the screen and start living your life.