Saturday Night Live Is Still The Best Show On Television

10 Reasons Why 'Saturday Night Live' Is The Greatest Television Show, Every Day Of The Week

I mean, what other TV shows have remained at the top of the charts for over 40 years?

56

With their 44th season coming to an end, "Saturday Night Live" rakes in approximately 10.3 million views each weekend. Dating back to 1975, the show has become much more than a comical 90-minute episode, but rather an informative and newsworthy platform that maintains it's relevancy each season. Here are 10 apparent reasons why you should become an "SNL" super fan today.

1. It's topical

As previously stated, "SNL" writers manage to intertwine politics and pop-culture into comedy with each skit. Though they do walk a fine line between humor and offensiveness, they somehow pull it off weekend after weekend. Past popular sketches of this nature include Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer, Alec Baldwin as Donald Trump, and Kenan Thompson as OJ Simpson.

2. It has spotlighted many of today's best comedic actors/actresses

From Amy Poehler to Bill Murray, Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Bill Hader, Eddie Murphy, Chris Farley, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Jimmy Fallon — the list goes on. Many of these individuals started on SNL as young, fresh talent, and rose to fame because of their exposure on the show.

3. It showcases your favorite celebrity actors/actresses

To promote their new television show or movie, Hollywood's top actors and actresses will be invited to host the show. Even if comedy isn't their usual genre of media (like Sandra Oh or Kit Harrington), the hosts always seem to thrive amongst the seasoned SNL cast!

4. ...as well as today's hottest musical artists

While the celebrity host and rest of the cast are backstage resting or prepping for their next scene, the musical guest(s) get to shine with two performances per show. The artists/bands are not always your typical popstars, either. Some lesser-known singers like Gary Clark Jr., Maggie Rogers, and HAIM were given the opportunity to grow their audience on the "SNL" stage. However, global names like Miley Cyrus, BTS, and The Weeknd have also been invited to perform in front of the live studio audience.

5. The production itself is incredible

Seriously, this show is a well-oiled machine. For reference, the cast is given the script for a read-through on Monday, have fittings and stagings throughout the week, full run-throughs on Saturday morning, and perform that very evening. The costume designers, prop people, stage managers, hair and makeup crew, post-production team, etc. are also working until the very last minute to put on the very best show they can. Stress is a very common side effect of working at "SNL."

6. "Weekend Update" gives you a recap of the week's news with a comedic spin

For those who don't actually put the effort into staying up-to-date with the news media during the week, "SNL" consolidates it all into a short segment called "Weekend Update." This satirical 10-15 bit pokes fun at the state of our country with special guests played by the "SNL" cast. Although Seth Meyers will always be the ultimate host of that sketch, Colin Jost and Micheal Che are doing a fantastic job of replacing him.

7. The sketches are not only HILARIOUS, but quite iconic

Like, how many of you can actually listen to the song "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" by Blue Öyster Cult without thinking of "more cowbell!?" Or the legendary Tom Hanks as David S. Pumpkins? T-shirts and animated videos were created as a result of this genius piece. And let's not forget Bill Hader as Stefon!

8. It's live, and therefore, capable of error

This is one of my favorite aspects of it. There's never going to be a perfect show — sets will fall apart, wigs will slip off, cast members will break, someone will screw up their lines, but that's the beauty of it! It's fun to watch something so candid and under-rehearsed, you never know what could happen next!

9. It's performed in front of an audience

This is how comedy should be performed, after all, it demands a reaction from a crowd! Additionally, fans of the show can go see their favorite celebrities perform live on stage and see behind-the-scenes interactions from their seats — I'm not jealous at all...

10. It stays true to its roots while changing with the times

Even with technological developments, "SNL" still uses giant cue cards for the cast to read lines. They also have kept their old-school camera crane instead of updating to something easier to handle. However, they have stepped up in diversifying their cast members. Nowadays, they have more women and more ethnically diverse actors/actresses on stage than ever. Keep it up, Lorne!