Sager Strong: Remembering Craig Sager

Sager Strong: Remembering Craig Sager

How He Touched My Life, And Why He Should Never Be Forgotten

12
Sager Strong: Remembering Craig Sager
Los Angeles Times

This past week, the sports world said goodbye to Craig Sager. He lost his life due to his personal battle with leukemia. He was one of the best sideline announcers to ever do it, and one of the most unforgettable characters in all of sports. Donning one-of-a-kind suits that seemed to go perfectly with his charismatic attitude, Craig Sager touched the world of sports in a way few people ever have.

Because of his fight and perseverance, Craig Sager won the Jimmy V perseverance award at the ESPY's last summer. For those who don't know, Jimmy V was a college basketball coach who won the courage award for his battle with cancer in 1993. He passed away due to his bout with cancer shortly after. His acceptance speech was nothing short of incredible and ever since it has been motivation for those who need it.

(If you haven't seen it, here is Jimmy V's speech here)

The main quote from Jimmy V that has always stuck out from that night was "Don't give up, don't ever give up." Another one that has stuck out to me ever since I heard this was, "Cancer can take away all of my physical ability, it cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul. Those three things will carry on forever." Immediately following this speech the Jimmy V Foundation For Cancer Research was created.

Twenty-three years later, when Craig Sager received the Jimmy V award, he also gave a speech at the ESPYs. To me (someone who has lost someone incredibly close to me to cancer), the way Craig Sager has carried himself throughout his fight has meant more to me than anything he did during an NBA broadcast. His speech is shown below, and the video shows completely just the type of person he was and why he deserves such admiration.

I had the privilege of meeting Craig Sager about a month before this speech at a playoff game in Oklahoma City. In the midst of all the personal discomfort he must have been feeling, he was incredibly kind to me. He had a conversation with me, took a picture with me and was very grateful when I told him we were all praying for him and his fight.

I'm glad he fought to the bitter end. His unrelenting effort and indomitable spirit touched more people than he will ever know, and I hope his family takes comfort in that. God bless the Sagers, and may we all live our lives being Sager Strong.