In A World Full Of Doctors And Lawyers, I Want To Be Miss North Dakota

Being Miss North Dakota is bigger than a crown and sash, it's about wanting to make a difference here at home and being a positive role model.

445
Emily Prock

Most 24-year-olds are fresh out of college, in search of themselves and that first "big kid" job. While I'm still doing the same, mine is totally different. I'm chasing a 14-year-old dream of being a queen for a year as Miss North Dakota 2018.

As a young girl, I sat and watched as 50 of America's best woman chased their dreams and graced the iconic stage in Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Year after year, another intelligent, beautiful, charming, young woman's life was changed for the better. The same thing was happening on a much smaller stage in North Dakota.

Thirty-one years ago, Williston, North Dakota became the home to the Miss North Dakota Scholarship Organization and we have never looked back. The community of Williston loves the first week in June when 20 of North Dakota's finest woman come to town and compete for the chance to represent North Dakota at Miss America.

Again, why Miss North Dakota? While going to Miss America, a new crown and a crisp new sash are great, it's all about what the crown means. The Miss America crown has four points: Service, Scholarship, Success, and Style.

As Miss North Dakota, I get the once in a lifetime chance to travel my amazing state and go on a school tour promoting my platform, "Putting The U Back in Beautiful: Promoting Self Love and Body Confidence." This platform has changed the way I view my entire life from how I see my outer appearance, how I use self-talk in my everyday life, and even how I talk to my peers.

Becoming Miss North Dakota is my dream, my goal, my passion. I want to break glass ceilings and show them that I can and will do this job with my whole heart.