Rumor has it Heaven is Far Away, so Thank You for Making the Trip to Visit Me Everyday

Thank you for all constant reminders that while you're flying high in eternal bliss, the essence of you is forever present.

1159

This is in loving memory of my dear friend Mariana McConnie (pictured above). When I think of a legend, my darling you will forever be my definition.

Today, I heard you. I woke up to the bird's good morning gossip to one another and for the first time in a long time I didn't scoff at their high pitched chirp interrupting my REM cycle. Today, it mimicked a beautiful melody welcoming a sun rise that brought endless possibilities, and that was this morning's alarm.

Today, I saw you. A stranger held the door open for me. Another stranger complimented me. Today, I saw your kindness beaming from the eyes of people I'd never met, and I simply smiled.

Today I smelled you. Oh yes, I smelled the essence of you baked into my favorite homemade peach cobbler made with nothing but a grandmother's love and that special secret ingredient. Today, that cobbler smelled just a little sweeter.

Today, I felt you. Driving with the windows down feeling the vibrations of my music blaring just a little too loud, I felt you. I felt you as I screamed the lyrics and danced at every stoplight. Today, I took the long way home.

Today, I realized pieces of you are everywhere. Woven into every aspect of nature's beauty. Disguised as strangers. Sprinkled on top of all my favorite foods. Vibrations in my soul from singing too loud or laughing too hard, a piece of you is always there. A constant reminder of how wonderful life is. How beautiful the simplest instances can be if you change your tune. Even though you may be in a place I can't reach you that is far away, you still visit me every single day. So in the words of Winnie the Pooh, "Today is my new favorite day."