What You Should Do When You Dine Out

12 Ways You Can Make Restaurant Workers' Lives Easier

#3 is a big deal.

72
https://stocksnap.io/photo/FCQCRGLO23

Working in a restaurant isn't easy, and sometimes, it can be very difficult. Here are just a few things you can do on your next visit to a restaurant to make the workers' shifts easier on them.

Speak Audibly and Clearly

When workers are writing down orders, whether it be online or in person, it can get overwhelming when the customer talks fast and quietly. Make sure when you're ordering that you speak loudly (but don't yell!) and don't rush through your order. Often, there is a bunch of noise in the background, and the worker might have trouble hearing you, so speak clearly.

Clean up your table the right way

People sometimes want to help their servers by stacking dishes before they leave the restaurant. This is a nice thought, but sometimes it can end up being a bigger pain. Try to put yourself in their shoes; would you want to clean up what you left behind? If not, don't leave it for your server. For example, don't shove dirty napkins into cups. The servers have to dig that soggy napkin out, and it just makes it a bigger pain.

Be patient

I really can't stress enough that restaurant workers are human. Sometimes it takes us a minute to find something on the computer or understand what you're asking of us. We want to give you the best service possible, but we can't do that if you start a stopwatch when you come up to us.

Get off the phone

If you're interacting with a restaurant worker, please get off your phone. It's distracting for us and distracting for you. If you're trying to order for someone else and want to talk to them on the phone while you order, don't. Get the order beforehand so you can give the restaurant worker your full attention.

Avoid distractions when you're ordering on the phone

We understand that life happens, but try to be in a quiet place and not do extra things when you're on the phone and order. If you're playing with a dog or flipping through papers, the sound could muffle the sound of your voice, or you could even forget what you're saying altogether. Try to give your full attention to the person on the other end of the phone because we are doing the same for you.

Know your order

We're more than happy to read our specials and give recommendations from the menu, but it's a lot easier on us if you already know what you want when you call or come in. Knowing what you want when you order means we can get your order in and to you much more quickly.

Keep your order simple

You're allowed to order what you want, but it requires a lot of work for restaurant workers to put in a complicated order. If you're going to order, for example, a four-meat pizza but only with pepperoni, just order a pepperoni pizza. Don't be that person with the mile-long order receipt.

Tip

If you can't afford to tip, don't go out and eat. Tips are how servers make their money, so if you want to go out to eat with only $20 and intend on ordering $20 worth of food, recalculate and account for the tip.

Be polite

Don't be rude to the restaurant staff. We're there to make sure you have a good experience. If you have a problem with something, ask politely to speak to the manager or explain what your problem is. If you yell or point blame, it's going to be harder for us to help you.

Don't ask about workers' personal details

If we decide to tell you about our pets or our education, we will. If we don't offer up that information to you, please don't ask. We're there to do a job, and we may want to keep our personal business and professional business. It gets awkward when a customer asks about something we don't want to discuss because we don't want to say no, but some things are just too personal.

If it's busy, avoid small talk

We love our customers, but when it's really busy, and we're covering a bunch of tables that need to be waited on, maybe it's best to save small talk for another time. We sometimes get stretched really thin and have to cover a lot, so keep that in mind if the restaurant is really packed and you want to ask a personal question.

Only ask for specials we can give you

Don't ask for a lunch special if it's after lunch time. It's okay to not know it's only a special during certain times, but if you ask us to bend the rules and give you a special we shouldn't, that's not okay. Breaking the rules like that could get us fired, so don't ask for things we can't give you.