I Have Faith That The 'Rugrats' Reboot Will Hit Me Right in the Childhood

Nickelodeon does it again!

24

When I was little, Nickelodeon's "Rugrats" was my absolute favorite show, with "Spongebob Squarepants" being a close second. I met Chuckie at Universal Studios when I was two, I remember eating countless Rugrats Popsicles, and the second Rugrats film, "The Rugrats in Paris," was the first film I ever saw in theaters. It's safe to say that they were a gigantic part of my childhood. When I heard that the beloved babies were being rebooted, I screamed in my kitchen for ten minutes. So yeah, I'm beyond excited to see the Rugrats come back.

First off, let me explain what this reboot entails. Rugrats will be returning to the small screen, with twenty-six new episodes, and the big screen with a live-action feature film. The film is set to premiere in 2020, and the new series hasn't been given a release date yet. While I'm thrilled about another Rugrats film, I'm wary about the film being live-action, and the babies themselves were constructed in CGI.

With a slew of unoriginal live-action remakes coming from Disney in recently, I can't help but be nervous about a live-action adaptation of a beloved cartoon. Hopefully, the film won't be merely a remake of an earlier Rugrats film. If the film is a fresh story, and the CGI on the babies looks decent (not like "Baby Geniuses"), I'm 100% down, and 100% excited for a live-action Rugrats movie.

I have a lot of faith in Nickelodeon, both generally and when it comes to remakes, considering that "Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie" was even better than the first "Hey Arnold Movie," and "Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling" looks hilarious. Nickelodeon has shown that it can do reboots just fine. I don't want to see it end up like the disappointing "Powerpuff Girls" reboot. My only hope is that they get the new Rugrats movie and series right, and since the original creators are coming back as executive producers, I have even more faith in the project.

I'm happy to see the Rugrats returning to both television and film. They were a big part of my childhood and countless others. I hope the Rugrats continue to entertain and teach children (and adults) for years to come.