Romance and Love in Today's Society: Alive or Dead?

Warning: Slight shade ahead so please read at your discretion.

1906
Tumblr

What I have to say is only a fraction of my perception when it comes to young adults and relationships. Since when is it okay to destroy values and quality when it comes to relationships and dating (even though there’s not much of that today) in my generation. There’s no dating and getting to know someone on a deeper level. There’s not much genuine curiosity about who a person really is. But there’s plenty of other activities that involve Netflix and a bed though. Because liking a pic and commenting heart eyes will definitely get you a girlfriend/boyfriend or simply get labeled as thirsty. I’m not writing this to seem like a bitter single person. I’m not bashing anyone’s relationship. I am not saying love today is inconceivable. And if you feel that I am saying any of these things, I am a firm believer in no one having any room in their life to judge someone else or their situation. I just see trust, commitment, and loyalty being a taboo concept in relations for young adults. For me, I’m not worried about God’s plan for my life because I trust him and his timing. This article is just a passing observation of what I have seen.

What’s normal is coming across someone who has been hurt in a relationship. I can’t count how many times I have heard or seen someone being royally screwed over because of someone else. It’s a growing cliché sadly. However, pain or being hurt before shouldn’t be as common as it is today. Some people just don’t really care about the repercussions of their actions. I believe that just because you have been hurt before that you shouldn’t close your heart to love forever. Self-healing is great and will always be needed after a heartbreak, but I implore you not to sulk and be comforted by your own pain. You can get so familiar and comfortable with being down and thinking that love just doesn’t work out for you. I encourage you to look forward to your future. I am not including your love life when I say that because I think that that should just happen naturally. Don’t force a relationship or a genuine connection because that hardly ever works out.

Yet I believe some individuals fall for a person so easily these days. Comforting as being in a relationship can be, some people get into them for the wrong reasons. I know that love and romance is obtainable, just sometimes hard to come by. I have witnessed (a very few) it in my generation. I just hope people realize their worth and value. Relationships don’t define one’s identity. Relationships should be based on common interests, friendship, and time spent together. If you feel that romance is still alive, don’t be afraid to let me know. If you feel that love is a bigger joke than Trump being president, I want to know why you feel that way. I definitely want to get feedback from you guys and how you view the status of romance in today’s society. I personally don’t know where I stand, but maybe hearing what you guys have to say will help me out.