Rogue One, An Analysis

Rogue One, An Analysis

In which I attempt to make sense of my many emotions after seeing this film

187
Rogue One, An Analysis

WARNING: THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story has been out for a couple of weeks now, and even though it opened right at the end of 2016, it still was the best movie I saw that year. I liked it so much I saw it three times and have plans to see it at least once more. Since I relatively enjoyed all the Star Wars films released so far (yes, even The Phantom Menace), I went in just looking to have a good time. I never expected to be so completely blown away by a film in my life.

I knew that I was in for the ride of my life when there was no traditional scroll to set the scene. The opening scroll is such an iconic part of the franchise and it was a little jarring to have it missing, even though you really didn't need it. After all, this is the precursor to A New Hope so I should have known the ending. I could also tell that this was going to be a different film experience due to the film composer. Michael Giacchino, who composed for Rogue One and for the recent Star Trek films has a very distinct style and I noticed a lot of similar themes. Even though he integrated John Williams' unforgettable themes flawlessly, Giacchino isn't as romantic and whimsical in his composing, like John Williams, who composed for the other Star Wars Films, Harry Potter, and Hook. Due to this style, I knew I was going to be in for more action than actual dialogue, and I wasn't ready.

The characters in conjunction with superb acting pulled me in from the very beginning. Usually, it takes a scene or two for me to truly appreciate a film's characters, but the cast of Rogue One did such a wonderful job committing to their characters. My heart broke for the first time as Jyn looked her father in the eye and said, "I understand, Papa" when she clearly was too young to understand why her parents were leaving her. This immediate establishment of Jyn's character having abandonment issues hurts so much more when you find out later that everyone leaves her.

Each actor truly understood to their characters. Since there wasn't much dialogue there needed to be a strong sense of facial acting. There were countless conversations that took place silently and from a twitch of a smile or a smoldering gaze. These conversations were executed with so much grace by the films two leads Diego Luna (Cassian Andor) and Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso). Their two characters were thrown together into a battle where one was ready for freedom and the other was ready to die for a cause. Each were a means to an end, but they eventually ended up trusting each other completely.

In their first battle scene together, Jyn and Cassian make eye contact and then fight completely in sync. All it took was Cassian watching Jyn take out a whole group of storm troopers for Cassian to understand that Jyn was not just a thief, she was someone he could rely on. The pair has their ups and downs, but there is no question that they understand each other and could have had more life to live together if things had gone differently. Their relationship built on trust and forgiveness makes it so difficult to watch their last two scenes in the film together.

After the Death Star plans had been transmitted, Jyn and Cassian stumble to an elevator to attempt to escape. Here Jones and Luna have given audiences true anguish by their acting. While in the elevator, Jyn and Cassian stare at each other (much more intently than they have the entire film) and audiences can see the pair thinking about the future and how they know that they are not going to be able to live it together. You can see a lifetime in their eyes and it's so heartbreaking. On top of all that silent communication, the last line Cassian utters to Jyn is, "Your father would be proud of you." Jyn offers only a smile in return. Then they hug as the Death Star obliterates them. It is heart-wrenching and would not be as intense had Luna and Jones not fully committed to their characters and their partnership.

That partnership is something else that truly made the film different. In the prequel we can see the love between Anakin and Padme followed by the tragic romance of Leia and Han Solo in the remainder of the films, but Rogue One did not have any romantic love. Sure, you could see that Cassian and Jyn cared about each other as well as Baze and Chirrut, but there was no on-screen kissing. If there had been, it would have felt forced. Rogue One was a war film that did not need the addition of a romance. Any romance would have been impractical in the climate and the film ended quite perfectly in spite of the heart break.

Probably what hurt the most about this film was that each member of Rogue One began living their best life right before they died. Bohdi, the defected imperial pilot, had found cause in which he believed in and was ready to start fighting for a just cause. Chirrut was finally able to use his connection to the force in a real battle and had he lived he probably would have met Yoda. Baze was just ready to support Chirrut. Cassian finally found a renewed hope in the rebellion. He was able to fight for a just cause again and did not want to forget the experience. Perhaps the person who gained the most was Jyn. In one movie she found a family, a cause, and hope. It was remarkable to see her finally begin to trust again and use her talents for a cause. Together Rogue One was a family and one that could have been important to the Alliance again. Their deaths were just, but so sad.

Rogue One truly makes you appreciate the original series so much more. The opening scroll detailing rebels who stole the Death Star plans were true heroes, without whom none of the other films could have happened. In a better world Rogue One is still alive and retired on a nice planet, warm, happy, and loved.