3 Must Visit Coffee Shops In Rochester, NY

Attention, coffee lovers: You'll never want to leave these three cafés.

2225

Rochester, NY may be known for their unpredictable weather patterns and garbage plates, but did you know our city has a cornucopia of hidden gem coffee shops? Check out my top three suggestions below!

1. Press Coffee

Press Coffee, located on East Main Street in Rochester, not only embodies a rich caffeinated buzz, but the spacious building is only a two-minute walk from the Eastman School of Music. Many music students wander in and play the grand piano in the coffee shop’s back room.

I was engulfed in a warm coziness as soon as I entered the eclectic café. A kind Australian barista greeted me while I scanned the freshly baked pastries in the display case and read from a long list of coffee options on the blackboard behind the counter.

Spanish mocha latte caught my eye, so I ordered a large one -- which is a ton of coffee! I envisioned an intense, dark chocolate infused coffee, but man, was I surprised when I took that first sip. The latte had a strong kick of cayenne pepper. It was good, but definitely too much in such a large quantity. I think I’ll stick to regular mocha lattes from now on, but I’m glad I tried it. The homemade chocolate-chip muffin was moist and delicious -- I definitely didn’t go wrong with that pick.

Press presses more than just coffee beans -- they press paninis as well. Pictured above is a ham and mozzarella panini with fresh pesto. The rustic wooden plate, crisp chips, and side of spicy BBQ sauce made for an adorable presentation.

The front room has lots of seating, but turning the corner around the coffee bar reveals an even larger room with a sweeping view of the street. Mismatched chairs and soft folk/indie music playing in the background create a relaxing atmosphere to do work in, like the college students are seen doing above.

Modern works of art are scattered across the exposed brick walls. The baby grand piano sits in the far left corner and a chess board awaits players in the far right. A great selection of reasonably priced coffee, live music, and an intimate feel in a spacious setup makes Press Coffee a must visit!

2. Café Sasso

Café Sasso takes the award for coziest coffee shop I have visited in Rochester. The coffee shop is located in a beautiful red brick building on Park Ave. I spent three hours at the café catching up with friends. During that time, a few people came into Sasso, ordered, and then left with a to-go cup. The majority of the crowd, however, stayed for just as long as I did, if not longer.

Sasso sucks you in and makes you feel immediately at home. The couch and breakfast bar are great places to complete work, while the intimate center tables are ideal for sharing a cup of coffee with someone. A chandelier and cute tables lamps give the café a warm, fuzzy glow. Tea lights are placed on each table when darkness hits.

Sasso’s walls are lined with colorful artwork with mirrors of different shapes and sizes sprinkled in between. There is also a fireplace, which is perfect for the long Rochester winters.

Sasso Café’s menu offers both caffeinated and alcoholic beverages (hot and cold). Some of the menu items include:

The Honey Bear – Espresso + Vanilla + Honey + Steamed Milk + Cinnamon

Old Fashioned Love Song – Bulleit Bourbon + Muddled Oranges + Cherries + Raw Sugar + Soda

Sweet Tooth – Ketel One Vodka + Frangelico Hazelnut Liqueur + Dark Chocolate + Whip + Caramel + Cherry

I ordered the Macho Caramel off of the coffee portion of the menu. Sasso calls this portion "Future Classics," and I can see why. Pure caramely goodness.

3. Pour Coffee Parlor

Pour Coffee Parlor is also located just off of Park Ave. on Somerton Street and is incredibly customer-oriented. The staff was very welcoming and the head barista had an impeccable beard.

Pour has a Victorian theme with warlike artwork and a sweeping chandelier, which was the first thing I noticed when I walked through the door. Frankenstein meets hipster as the tattooed baristas work like mad scientists, brewing specialty coffees and teas right in front of customers for pure freshness. The music is chill with lots of Coldplay and Muse on the playlist.

I ordered an Oktoberfest latte off the seasonal menu. The beautiful latte was literally autumn in a cup with hints of maple syrup and cinnamon in a creamy rich swirl of flavor.

I also ordered Pour’s famous Waffle Chantey, which is made with organic ingredients and served with local butter and NY maple syrup. Delicious homemade waffles came to the table in a massive portion. They were to die for.

Pour's passion for high quality ingredients and the people they serve is evident. Although on the pricier side, Pour is definitely worth stopping by.