How To Travel In College And Not Break The Bank

5 Tips On Road Tripping As A College Student On A College Budget

Grab your friends and hit the road!

tiannat
tiannat
155

As a college student, my bank account is drastically dropping, whether that be because of late night coffee runs or student bills like tuition. This can be really depressing especially since this is the time of your life when you want to be adventurous and try new things. So, rather than scrolling on Pinterest for vacation destinations, take a trip! Now, I know you may be thinking, how can I do that when traveling is so expensive? Well, I got you covered.

1. Book a day trip or a long weekend vacation.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsjWcrJHMV-wYuL9h1d690A7hY-AYg_uD2lnWU0/

This is something my friends and I do a lot actually! We will decide to go on a day trip to a cool spot a few hours away to go hiking or scout out new coffee shops. This way, you really only have to pay for food or chip in for gas. With a lot of friends, you'll maybe spend $30 and you'll make great memories for the day. Another option, if you have more time, maybe plan a weekend trip to a big city you have been wanting to visit! Personally, my friends and I usually stay with someone we know when booking a long weekend vacation, but Airbnb is always a really good option too. Plus, you can find some really cool places for really cheap.

2. Plan out your activities or "must-sees" beforehand.

personal

When my BFF's and I decided to go to California for the weekend, we planned out different restaurants, coffee shops, and activities that we wanted to go to. This helps you predict how much money to bring/spend and also keeps you on schedule rather than just sitting in the hotel or Airbnb all day. Go online and look up places with really cool reviews or places that make for really cute Instagram spots!

3. Check out FREE places!

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17951158828169915/

As a college student, you probably don't wanna be spending tons of money on your trip because the actual travel expenses can add up pretty quickly. So, look for activities like a local beach, state park, or even just sight-see for one day! These things are free and can be really fun when you make the most of it. For example, if you hit up a beach, bring a blanket, some snacks from home, and an awesome road trip playlist that you made. Chill in the water, maybe bring a ball to pass around, and make some fun, yet, cheap memories with your friends.

4. Do an Instagram photoshoot.

personal

Did you even go if there are no pictures to prove it? I know you were scrolling social media daydreaming of your traveling experiences, so why not take some cute pictures to show the world where you went? My friends and I like to get multiple outfits ready and hunt out cute photo opportunities. In LA, we stopped at the famous Pink Wall and snagged a few pics for the 'gram while we were there. So, get some props like an iced coffee or a pair of sunglasses and strike your best pose! This is a great thing to do on trips because taking pictures is free and you can make a whole day out of it.

5. Say yes more often.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqF7rdiHYYoTxO0CzOFIOegPd1g4QRnJ0bm-Zw0/

By saying yes, you will be open to more opportunities than you would've if you said no. This has been something that is HUGE for me in college. Before, if I didn't want to hang out or do something that was a little out of my comfort zone, I would just say no and forget about it. But, by saying yes to spontaneous things such as day trips or special activities, I may have a lot of memories. Skip class and go to the Grand Canyon? Say yes. Weekend road trip to Los Angeles? Say yes. Go hike 4 miles to see an incredible view? Say yes.

In order to have the "full college experience," you don't have to go across the world, or even across your state. Grab some of your closest buds, drive a few hours, bring food from home, and go explore. You'll regret it if you don't, so why not just go? Traveling doesn't have to break the bank as long as you are smart about your decisions. Don't go crazy, but splurge a little. You can always make back the money, but you can't always make back the memories.