13 Things We Miss About Lake City Tavern

RIP LCT.

49
Lake City Tavern

From Thursday nights to Sunday mornings, Baldwin Wallace students have been walking across the Front Street bridge to and from the most beloved bar in Berea. However, this semester is remarkably different. As we mourn the loss of our favorite place to eat, drink, and play sand volleyball, we look back on the greatest memories of our college careers. Although the commute from campus to the bar hasn’t changed and the building is still surrounded by sand, we’re coming to terms with the fact that Jack doesn’t live here anymore, and neither does Lake City. The list could go on forever, but here are 13 things we miss about Lake City Tavern.

1. It didn’t matter when you went.

Whether you were there for formal or just coming in for one beer after night class, you’d end up seeing 20 more people than you thought you would – and staying until last call (or until they sent you home.)

2. You knew everyone.

From bartenders and cooks to the girl falling down trying to dance on the booths, you knew everyone. (mostly from LCT but also because they sat next to you in classes)

3. The atmosphere.

You would leave house parties to walk to Lake City (even through thunderstorms and blizzards) to pay more money to drink the same brand of beer you had been all night, with all of the same people every single weekend just because you loved it there.

4. The stage.

Whether you were supposed to be up there or not, you were, and you were probably singing along to the newest Fetty Wap song and dancing while trying to not spill your drink (which happened every time.) If you were the DD that night, you were probably laughing at everyone trip as they tried to get through the narrow pathway between all the stacked chairs and the stage. (because sober or not, that was always funny) From karaoke to the plaid mannequins who laid on the stage every night, it was always packed, and you were sure to fall off at least once.

5. Jenga.

You didn’t even flinch when all the blocks would fall and crash all over the floor from across the bar. You’d be more alarmed if that sound didn’t happen every five minutes.

6. Lake City Thursdays.

Whether you had an 8am on Fridays or no classes at all, you were there every Thursday for $2 drinks. From the memes on the Thursday LCT Twitter account to your friends eventually all showing up after they swore last week was the last time they’d do that, the draw to LCT this night of the week was unlike any other.

7. DJ Hot Sauce.

The man, Mr. DJ Hot Sauce, was always ready for a good time at LCT. From karaoke to playing our favorite songs (“Come on Eileen”) and everything in between, showing up to Lake City and having him there was the absolute best. He’s since been spotted DJ-ing at Scoundrel’s (or Grindstone or whatever that changed to), but there’s no place like Lake City.

8. Tots.

Enough said.

9. Sand Volleyball.

From the summer tournament teams or even just a pick-up game with your housemates to the winters of waiting for summertime as you look through the glass side doors into the snow, the volleyball courts (and that random basketball hoop) were the settings of some of the greatest memories at Lake City.

10. You had your first Boca Loca here.

Long before Boca Loca had a restaurant in the Berea Triangle, their food truck would be at Lake City every Wednesday, selling the best burritos a bar could have. Let’s be hoenst, who didn’t want “The Big Wet One” from LCT?

11. April Reign at LCT.

Only the strong survived the day to make it all the way down Front Street during April Reign weekend. If you made it, you probably took a nap and missed day-drinking events or you just really knew how to rally. For those who didn’t, you weren’t alone.

12. Throwing Darts and Shooting.

That’s one hell of a combination. What classy bar doesn’t have a dart board and a shooting game? Strategically placed next to the juke box and in front of the stage, it was inevitable that you had either hit or been hit with a dart in the crossfire of a heated game. And whether or not you ever put money into the arcade game, you couldn’t walk past the flashing screen without picking the gun and fake shooting at least once. It happened to the best of us.

13. You left your mark.

Your name was chalked somewhere on the walls at all times. Either written by you or not, your name (and number) was definitely up there. And if you turned your attention to the television monitors, flashing between the Keno numbers, were pictures of the BW community from football games to nights out, you were famous in that small town.

Over the past few months, we’ve seen a lot of changes. Whether or not you go still to BW, your heart will hold a special place for Lake City forever. The address is the same, but the name (and everything else) has changed. Wild Señoritas, can you handle us? I guess we’ll find out. If not, there’s always PV.