September Newsletter

September Newsletter

A summary of my first month back and why my writing consistency has been down.

18
September Newsletter
Victoria Hamilton

One month has gone by since I returned to Villanova. I forgot how busy college can get, and did not realize how that was going to conflict with my writing. Balancing academics, a practice schedule, and my other commitments on campus have never been an issue for me. However, I am still getting back into my groove after a three month hiatus of not having to balance anything. In order to make up for and explain my lack of posting, here is a summary of my September (plus the last week of August).

The Return Of The 4:45 AM Alarm

I did not get to sleep in much this summer because of my job as a camp counselor. That being said, I definitely had a better sleep schedule at home. I am on the crew team here at Nova, and saying I wake up early is a little bit of an understatement. Waking up before the sun rises is a thing that becomes easier the more you do it. This month has been relearning how to make it a habit again, while trying to fit in naps when I can.

A Broken Laptop

After 7 long years of avoiding any and all problems, my computer battery finally died. Luckily, it happened during syllabus week so I did not fall behind in my schoolwork. My laptop was sent away for 2.5 weeks. I spent most of my time on the Falvey computer or borrowing a friend's laptop whenever it became convenient. Word of advice, when Apple says to replace the battery every couple of years, you probably want to do it.

Reuniting With My People

There is a lot to talk about when you have not seen your best friends for months. There is even more to discuss when you are 2,800 miles away from everyone else. Whether it is a quick coffee date or a long dinner, catching up is time consuming. But it is time well spent.

Bronchitis Part 2

People always say how college is a cesspool for disease. Unfortunately, this is very accurate. Not even a month into the year, and I find myself again with bronchitis. Apologies to anyone who had to deal with my brutal cough and wheezing. My immune system has not always been the best, but it seems to completely disappear when I return to school. September has consisted of ingesting Emergen-C and a countless amount of antibiotics.

Did Somebody Say, Concert Season?

After a long month of sickness, lack of sleep, and a busted up computer, I decided to treat myself to some concert therapy. I always loved live music and being so close to Philly makes it easier to indulge myself. I attended Made In America for the second year in a row. Here, I realized why upperclassmen do not go. I find myself on a train to the event with 2 of my sophomore friends and 50 freshman. It was not all bad, I got to see some of my favorite artists including Hippie Sabotage and Anderson Park. This past weekend, not only did I see Daniel Caesar, but I also saw Daniel Caesar FRONT ROW. I have never been so close to the stage, especially at a general admission event. Moral of the story, I now have concert withdrawal.

For next month, my goal is to have a newsletter than does not consist of me not sleeping and not having a solid immune system.