9 Affordable Tips And Tricks To Eating Clean On A College Budget

For those of us ballin' on a budget.

36
pexels-anna-shvets-3962294.jpg
Pexels.com

Eating clean is an easy (and fun!) way to be and feel your best self. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to keep up with the expenses of a healthy and balanced diet as a college student. As you think of your budget and grocery shopping approach it is important to keep in mind that everything is good in moderation! Don't limit your budget to only fruits and vegetables; balance is key! Don't forget to treat yourself every once in a while:)

1. Keep eggs on hand 

A carton of eggs is relatively cheap and very versatile in the kitchen. They're a great breakfast option, but can also be hardboiled. Hard boiled eggs are great snacks that fill you up and that you don't feel guilty eating. Pro tip: wet a hard boiled egg and roll it in everything but the bagel seasoning!!

2. Buy in bulk with roommates for certain items 

Many granola bars, protein powders, or even crackers come in bulk at big box stores. It might be a good idea to buy these items in bulk with your roommates to save money and eat less of it on your own!

3. Invest in a Brita or water filter 

Water is the key to health, but it also drains the bank account. Save yourself money by filling up reusable water bottles with a water filter rather than frequently spending money on plastic bottles.

4. Keep your recipes simple

Cooking recipes with simple ingredients and easy instructions is both convenient and very often more healthy than whipping up elaborate meals! Simple recipes also help you save that $$$$.

5. Fruits and veggies 

Keep fruits and veggies on hand at all times! Even if you have dino nuggets for dinner, have strawberries and carrots as a side. Try to eat at least one fruit or vegetable with every meal.

6. Stick to your list

If you're anything like me, you're a kid in a candy shop when you walk into a grocery store. I end up putting at least 10 items that weren't on my initial list in the cart. To stay on track, plan ahead and stick to it! You won't regret any unplanned expenses or an excess of double stuffed oreos in your pantry!

7. Stock up on frozen fruit 

Frozen fruit can last for a long time and has many uses! You can put it in oatmeal, a smoothie, salad, or even just eat them plain! If you like bitter fruits try one of my favorite snacks: frozen pomegranates in yogurt!

8. Low-butter and low-salt popcorn for dessert

Popcorn is a super low calorie and inexpensive sweet treat to eat after dinner. If you want to spice it up sprinkle in a few chocolate chips or add some sweet frozen fruit!

9. Ask about a student discount! 

This is the key. Many grocery stores in college towns offer student discounts on groceries, which can really come in clutch and expand your grocery budget!