Thoughts While Rewatching "The New Edition Story" (Part 1)

Thoughts While Rewatching "The New Edition Story (Part 1)"

Let's face it: there are no modern groups in pop music without these five young superstars.

131
http://d2u8r8la08imki.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/21124946/313840.jpeg

Only two days until we get to see the untold story of the King of Stage, or as the late Whitney Houston put it, "the original king of R&B", Bobby Brown. But before I see it for myself, I decided it's time to throw it back to last year's amazing biopic, The New Edition Story, which chronicled all the trials and tribulations surrounding not only Bobby, but also Mike, Ricky, Ralph, Ronnie and Johnny. In case you don't know who they are, And now, a trip down memory lane!

You know drama is bound to happen when Bobby decides he'll steal the show. But TBH, that version of "My Prerogative" is even better than the original!

So much foreshadowing, and we're not even into the opening credits...

I'm sorry, but that version of Poison was lowkey awful. I really do wish Bobby extinguished them with the hose.

Did Mike just dodge a bullet, Matrix style?

That "One Love" album cover? Doesn't look anything like the original. Well, good going, Diddy!

"See where he wind up in ten years... probably LOCKED UP!" I wouldn't be laughing so hard if her voice didn't crack!

I seriously thought Bobby was about to burst into to flames.

And this, is where one of the greatest supergroups in music history was born. Apparently, you'll get to sing when Bobby doesn't feel like crossing his fingers behind his back.

Ricky? Ralph? Aren't you guys too young to be singing a song like that? But Ricky's vocals on that "I Want You Back" acapella? Lucas Sinclair can sing circles around the other Hawkins kids.

Better to be a hard-working professional than just a star. I can't lie about this, but most of today's artists, and especially groups, need more managers like Brooke Payne. I'm just about sick of everybody trying to be solo.

I'm so jealous of the boys right now. They got their first kiss in like, seventh grade, and I still can't get any (so far)!

That's more like the Apollo crowd than the Strand Theatre crowd. Enough said.

Um, no, Maurice. It's better to speak out against things than it is to blindly listen.

If there's one thing I can say about Ronnie, it's that he always kills the dance moves.

Ralph Tresvant, a.k.a. the OG Michael Jackson II, has arrived. Too bad Maurice had the gall to try to implode New Edition, before they even started. And even worse, the boys' mothers care more about the fortunes than the fine print! How screwed up is that?!

"All of us are lead singers!" That went out the window fast...

What, they couldn't get Madonna to do a little cameo? My guess is, she probably thought, "who cares about those irrelevant flops that will never be on my level of success?".

Just how stupid can Bobby and Ricky's mothers be? If New Edition doesn't have Brooke, who's got their best interests at heart, who knows what chaos is gonna come from that?

From boys to some talented young men, in only one modulation. Simply intoxicating.

They got all these girls screaming, an album selling in the thousands, and gone on a transatlantic tour... and the tour bus returns to Orchard Park and drops them back off like nothing happened.

$1.87 check to split five ways? I would go 187 degrees on Maurice Starr, Ice Cube style! And that includes shoving that check right up his butt, what for! But what sucks to know even more is that these multitalented boys are about to get screwed over incessantly, even though they just want to escape the cycle of poverty.

Gary Evans, just like any other character Michael Rapaport plays, isn't any good in the long run. I feel that in my joints.

Office people can be so boring. And why the hell did Gary only call Ralph by his first and last name?! But on the other hand, I can tell Jheryl is SO not here for any of them.

Ghetto kids from Boston who can barely sing? I'd take them any day over some manufactured popstars, as much as I admit to liking Selena Gomez and those other so-called talentless girls.

They're only about 15 or 16, and they're even more ratchet than all those IG thots. I mean, that orgy with the Soul Train dancers is grade-A heathenry that I would have never thought of doing at that age.

That shot of Ralph reminds me so much of MJ's video for "She's Out of My Life". Was that supposed to be deliberate?

History repeating itself... producers are still acting as if Ralph is Beyoncé, and all the other members are Kelly, Michelle, LeToya and LaTavia. But even so, Ricky and Ronnie hit the nail on the head with the Jackson 5 comparisons.

Gee, Gary, what did you expect? You tell them they could have at least one song to lead on, and then you turn around and treat Ralph as the main workhorse. So, even though they went about it the wrong way, I understand why the other four members felt so disrespected. But if I were in their shoes, I would wait my turn to sing, not head to the mall to get some more girls.

Those two songs by Whodini ("Freaks Come Out at Night" and "Friends") accurately described what the group was going through at that time.

After a whole day of singing both lead and background vocals in that first session, all Ralph gets is one tiny chicken wing. Is that cold, or is that cold?

Coming up next... all five members finally get the fame they rightfully deserve, but that trip from absolutely nothing to the top of the world not only makes quite a few of them believe their own hype, but gas them up beyond belief.