Revisiting Kehlani's While We Wait On Its 2 Year Anniversary

Arguably her best project, the mixtape sees Kehlani on all sides.

47
https://twitter.com/lanivocals/status/1363687088965697538

Two years ago today, Kehlani dropped her most recent mixtape "While We Wait". It infused the trap-R&B sounds of today's music with elements of Neo-Soul and late 90's R&B, creating one of Kehlani's best projects to date. Let's take a closer look what made "While We Wait" so fun to listen to.

Footsteps

"Footsteps" is the best collaboration on the album and a stand out in Kehlani's discography. For one, it's amazing that Kehlani flawlessly hit the notes she did while pregnant. The instrumental and the lyrics match perfectly. Where in other collaborations feel trivial and forced, Musiq Soulchild glides perfectly into his spot on the bridge. The two's chemistry is unmatched as they sing about the two sides of the same relationship. Kehlani's place in R&B was with a cosign from one of Neo-soul's greatists.

Too Deep

The juxtaposition between "Too Deep" and "Footsteps" embodies what a mixtape is: a bunch of sounds combining to make a fire project. Kehlani sings fast, almost as if she's venting in the verses and bridge. As the title states, her newest situationship is all too much.

Nunya

"Nunya" is type of track you just have to turn up and scream the lyrics to in the car. It's not the most creative lyrically on "While We Wait", but definitely the most fun.

Morning Glory

"Morning Glory" is the perfect song in that it accomplishes everything it aims to. It has a sound reminiscent of radio morning show. It takes influence from 90s R&B, particularly TLC.

Feels

On "Feels", Kehlani expresses her new love in a flirtatious manner. She sings, "You give me feels", a euphemism commonly used amongst younger generations to symbolize finally accepting you might actually care for someone you're dating.

Nights Like This

"Nights Like This" is the only single from "While We Wait" and song the that went Platinum in the United States. It continues the trend of the collaborations being the most emotionally vulnerable. Kehlani once again puts on for the LGBT community, singing, "On some nights like this shawty I can't help but think of us."

RPG

"Show me your love" Kehlani sings over and over throughout the chorus. "RPG" is particularly emotional because she doesn't hide her feelings in metaphors or euphemisms; She gives it to us straight. We can all relate. 6lack's feature is excellent in that it's not quite apologetic, but definitely concerned with a willingness to do better.

Butterfly

On "Butterfly", Kehlani encourages her partner to open up to her in the way a butterfly spreads it wings. She inspires her partner and the listener to shed toxic masculinity and embrace emotion.

Love Language

Building off of "Butterfly", Kehlani wants to get to know her partner better on "Love Language". "I wanna be fluent in your love language", she sings, asserting she wants her partner and her to always be on the same page. We see throughout the mixtape that Kehlani is a devoted lover, and the final track encapsulates it all.