A Review Of SZA's "Ctrl"

A Review Of SZA's "Ctrl"

SZA does her best to "channel" Frank Ocean on her debut album.

118
A Review Of SZA's "Ctrl"
Genius.com

Solana Imani Rowe, better known by her stage name SZA, is an artist making waves in modern R&B. Along with Hip-hop heavyweights like Kendrick Lamar, Isaiah Rashad, and Schoolboy Q, SZA is signed to Top Dawg Entertainment. In addition to her own solo projects, she is also known for providing hooks for the other artists on her label. Personally, I wasn't too familiar with the New Jersey artist’s music until listening to “Ctrl”, but I did enjoy what I had heard up until then. As a general fan of R&B, I was looking forward to hearing what SZA would bring to her debut studio album.

“Ctrl” depicts the emotional journey SZA goes through post-breakup. The T.D.E artist is raw and vulnerable on this project, contemplating all of the reasons why the relationship didn't work out, as well as reminiscing about different moments in her relationship. She wonders if their is something that she did wrong but also proceeds to criticize her ex in several other songs. The additional narration by Rowe’s mother during the album makes it even more personal, providing her own interpretation of the songs on “Ctrl”. Some of the highlights on this project include “The Weekend,” “Normal Girl” and “20 Something.” “20 Something” hits particularly close to home, as I am almost 21 and can relate to the uncertainty and confusion that goes into being in your 20s. One of my favorite songs on the album however was “Drew Barrymore,” a track that shows off SZA’s insecurities and doubts about her own self-worth in her relationship.

The production on this album was simple but great. The opening track “Supermodel” uses solely a guitar, bass guitar and keyboard, with a simple but groovy drum feature at the end. In modern R&B, more specifically alternative R&B, instrumentals sometimes have the tendency to get to busy and messy, making it difficult to fully appreciate an artist’s voice. “Ctrl” focuses on live instrumentation with heavy soul and jazz influences, perfectly accompanying SZA’s vocals instead of barring them down. Speaking of SZA’s vocals, they were definitely the highlight of this project. I got some serious Frank Ocean vibes on this project, mirroring his excellent vocal performance on “Blonde.” Rowe utilized her entire vocal range, effortless switching between high and low notes.

I’d be remiss if I didn't mention the featured artists on this project. They provide another layer to an album, which is very impressive considering how personal and specific to SZA’s experiences this album is. Rapper Travi$ Scott’s feature on the album’ lead single “Love Galore” shows of Travis Scott’s range as an artist. Fellow T.D.E signee Kendrick Lamar also has a feature in “Doves in the Wind”, where he comically raps about the dangers of doing anything to get laid.

Overall, this was a great project that I highly recommend to anyone who is a fan of R&B, but I would also recommend this album to anyone who is simply a fan of good music. It’s a chill and relaxing project, and would be a good addition to your summer playlist.