Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Review

Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina Review

I never thought that a remake of a show would take a complete 360, and still be good.

38

Did you have a favorite show as a child that you wanted to be remade? I did. I loved the show Sabrina the Teenage Witch. There are not many shows about witches that are good and not evil. I hoped they would one day remake my favorite show from my childhood. Finally, it happened, but it was not what I expected the show to be like.

If any of you have seen the original Sabrina the Teenage Witch, then you would know that it is all about normal teenager problems, and Sabrina would use her magic to help. When she casted spells, there would be sparkles that come out from her fingers because it was a happy and uplifting show; that is what I expected from the new series, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. That could not have been far more wrong.

In this new Netflix series, Sabrina is still a half-witch and half-mortal going to a high school for mortals, but the spells cast in this show are more like rituals, not quick and simple spells. She must choose to stay to live in the mortal world or go to the witch world, where she will never be able to have any connections with the human world. On her 16th birthday, she is supposed to make the choice ono which world she will live in. If she decides to go with the witches, then she will have to sign a book called the Book of the Beast. By signing this book, she will receive her full witch powers and will no longer be able to live in the mortal realm or communicate with her mortal friends. Once she makes her decision, there are many problems that continue to arise for her.

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with this show; but for the most part, I love this show. I love the fact that it's a little more real than the original series. There are several people who still believe that rituals are a real thing and people continue to use this practice to this day. It shows a teenager who is struggling to decide who her real people are, just like normal teenagers in real-life. She cannot decide if her true 'family' is her coven or her mortal friends and deciding that will determine her fate and who she becomes. Choosing between people who she can trust with her life, but can't tell the truth to, or the people who are just like her, but she may or may not be able to trust.

There are a lot of dark scenes in this show, both literal and figuratively. The whole show is very dark and dreary and does not have a happy vibe to it. The town of Greendale is always foggy, and the sun is rarely out, if ever. The Spellman's house is in the woods, where they perform their rituals, and they have their own graveyard in their front yard. They have a graveyard because Sabrina's aunts have a funeral business in their own home. As well as dealing with dead people, there is also some cannibalism involved in the series, which was completely unexpected.

There are a couple things I was not a fan of with this series. One thing I did not like very much was that it was the opposite of the original series. The reason behind this could also be from being so used to watching a happy and uplifting series of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. If you like dark and twisted shows, then this is the show for you. I would recommend everyone to watch this show. It is a great plot and the characters were fantastic.