A Review on "36 Questions: A Podcast Musical"

Jessie Shelton and Jonathan Groff Star in a Musical Podcast.

Bandcamp
1111

“Jase Connelly, answer me honestly. Right now, given the choice of anyone in the world, who would you want as a dinner guest?”

I’ve been listening to podcasts for about a year. I enjoy The Moth, the official Steven Universe podcast, and other storytelling podcasts. I found 36 Questions a couple weeks ago, and I haven’t been able to keep the songs out of my head! It is a podcast musical, meaning all of the music and sound effects are in the podcast, meaning it not supposed to be performed live. I am a huge fan of musicals, so just the phrase “podcast musical” had me ready to download it.

The premise is relatively simple. A couple attempts to complete 36 questions, a scientifically proven way to make people fall in love, or at least become closer. Judith and Jase have been married for a couple of years, before lies are discovered that challenge their relationship, as well as their values as a whole. The cast stars almost solely Jessie Shelton and Jonathan Groff. It also involves a duck named Henry, so if that’s not enough for you to want to listen to it, I don’t know what will be. Jessie Shelton is a musician and actor, while lesser known than her co-star, she is definitely talented. You may recognize Jonathan Groff from Hamilton, Glee, or as the voice of Kristoff from Frozen.

The story is engaging, and I found myself on the edge of my seat after the first two acts, figuratively speaking, of course. I was actually on walks while I was listening to the podcast. The story takes you on an emotional story that stays with you long after your first listen. I found myself considering my relationships in my life, and have now done the 36 questions with my girlfriend and step-dad. I hope Two-Up, the podcast who created the musical, writes more podcast musicals in the future, I look forward to listening!