Reverse Racism Does Not Exist

Reverse Racism Does Not Exist

Prejudice against someone for their race, any race, is racism.

48
Reverse Racism Does Not Exist

Until recently, I wasn't aware this was a term that even existed. I was always taught that being rude to someone because of their race was racism and is terribly wrong, but not everyone feels that way. The dictionary defines reverse racism as "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism on the basis of race directed against a member of a dominant or privileged racial group" I have several issues with this definition and reverse racism as a whole.

The first issue that I have with this definition is that one race should be/ is the dominant racial group. I believe that EVERYONE is equal. Your race, religion, or gender does not define where you stand in society to me. Everyone should have the same rights and be viewed as one race, human.

The second issue I take with this definition is that racism against a "primary group" needs a different term than just racism. Update, it doesn't. To further explain my point I am going to now include the dictionary definition of racism "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior." Now if you compare the two definitions, you notice that the only truly different thing is reverse racism is racism against the "majority", but how is that any different.

One example of this that truly drives me crazy is the case of Sarah Jeong, an editorial writer for the New York Times. Ms. Jeong is an Asian-American who recently had racist tweets resurface. The main tweet she was, somewhat criticized for reading "Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins." another read " It's kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men." Finally, the worst one in my opinion, "white people have stopped breeding, you'll all go extinct soon. This was my plan all along."

Now, you're probably wondering what consequences she faced for these statements... which was actually nothing. She issued a statement saying she was no stranger to harassment and the tweets were a form of satire, but that does not excuse this. Her employer, The New York Times, also issued a statement saying they were aware of her internet history and she was aware you couldn't have this internet behavior working for the times.

Now, something I do when I see comments like this is replacing the word white with a minority race, and see how I feel. Personally, I feel no different because it's all disturbing and terrible to me, but a lot of people, specifically more left-wing supporters, generally feel worse when these comments are made about minorities versus white people.

This is one of the major issues affecting our country. I vote to get rid of terms like reverse racism that constantly divide us as a population and persecute everyone equally for derogatory comments made about ANY race, not just minority races.