A Return To Owl Cave

A Return To Owl Cave

Maybe following owls is good, maybe it makes me seem insane?

50
A Return To Owl Cave
Richard Lee

At this point, I have three “Twin Peaks” themed articles, the first being “The Owls Are Not What They Seem,” and the second “The Owl’s Are Still Watching Me,” and that was meant to be it. The only way I was going to revisit “Twin Peaks” was to review an episode or look at the return series. But, I instead decided to return to my themed pieces, but I considered it for weeks.

I love how the second article ended. It had a nice sentiment to it, and I was worried that revisiting it would negate that. That “high hope, follow your owls idea,” while still important, didn’t work out the way I was hoping. And I’ve come to the sad conclusion that my owls that were guiding me, so to speak, were in fact, delusions.But you already suspected that, didn’t you? Hence the weeks of considering.

To begin, the girl with the blue rose tattoo, things never developed. Remember the girl who mentioned “Twin Peaks” on her own? We dated briefly, and as quickly as it began, it ended not with a bang, but a fizzle. And as for the girl named Laura? We had an awesome first date. Really!

We hit it off perfectly! The day started where I had a date with a girl I had spoken to from an online dating site. As the day progressed, I could tell she was blowing me off, so I said screw it. I wanted to paint my room for a while and decided to just go for it.

At Lowe’s, I couldn’t help but notice that the paint girl was gorgeous! So we started talking and I asked if she wanted to do something after her shift. We got a late dinner and spoke for two hours. Then as the night came to a close, I kissed her goodnight and we agreed to see each other again, all before I left the parking lot.

Sounds like a good night right? Well when the next “date” rolled around, I made a comment saying I have no problem paying for a date (something she mentioned I didn’t have to do during the first) and with that, she responded

“I didn’t think this was anything.”

I was stunned!

I lost all of my mojo. After the date, I asked around and everyone said it was clear it was a date. But from that moment on, I had no clue how to bounce back and regain my confidence. We decided to go to the movies and I tried to make a joke about the movie being scary and I’d need to hold her hand. She said I’d be alright and then didn’t talk to me for the remainder of the night. And the movie, “Hurricane Heist” sucked as if to add insult to injury. (She picked it, by the way, don’t judge me).

So much for following owls! Speaking of the fuckers, have I seen any since? Nope!

I know, you might think I was subconsciously seeing them because I was looking for a pattern unbeknownst to me, or I noticed it because I had my attention brought to them; like when you get a new car, and then all of a sudden everyone has that same car. Maybe that’s true. But after the three failed attempts, I was hoping I’d see them again… and didn’t. I know, I sound crazy.

I’m still on online dating. It still sucks. I mean, one positive is the lack of anything developing has caused me to be more outgoing at work when customers come in. I’ve developed some real “people skills” as they’re referred to in the industry. And I’ve actually become quite friendly with the people I work with. Only took about a year, so I did it in record time!

I shouldn’t say “it still sucks,” because I’ve actually started seeing someone who’s really sweet, and whom I click with fantastically (I guess that fortune cookie was right after all). I met her through online dating.Without the aid of anything “Twin Peaks” related and no help from the owls. Does that mean my last article was bullshit?

No. I think maybe I was looking for something to be a “sign” because I was down on my luck in relation to my love life. Do I legitimately think owls were guiding me? Of course not, I think I was looking for patterns to indicate something to me, to follow my gut. And it worked.

Despite it not working with the previous girls as I hoped, it got me out there, to step out of my comfort zone and grow up a little. If seeing owls helped me do that, then I say follow some owls!

The sentiment of my last article was still true; go with your gut and try to find what leads to happiness. The fallacy was that I was relying too much on a pattern to validate I was doing something right. The owls were not what was right; it was what I was doing.

To update my original closing words, find your “owls” whatever they may be, and let them lead you to what you were looking for. But don’t be blinded by them, and know that the only owl that can really guide you, is you.