The Retail Industry Is Horrible

Nobody Said Working In Retail Was Easy

My mood can change by just one customer.

59

At some point, everyone ends up working in retail or the service industry. It's a rite of passage before entering the actual workforce. However, no one ever tells you how difficult it will be.

All that people see when they think about retail is standing in a store for a few hours ringing up customers. Nobody thinks about stocking the shelves with new inventory, cleaning the store, and putting up new displays for the season.

Working in retail seemed like an easy job choice. I would learn how to do inventory, maybe fold some clothes, and that would be it. Somedays, it can be an emotionally draining job, depending on the type of people that come into the store.

On a day to day basis, most people that I ring up or help in the store are lovely. They are open to talking and are courteous if they have to wait while you ask a question for them. They make your day that much better.

There are always the regulars and after being there for a couple of days, you know what they are going to get. Their presence in the store is something you look forward to. It's the little things like that that make the job so much fun.

Then, there are the customers that are rude to you no matter what you do. It becomes mind-boggling how someone can act that way towards someone who is only trying to help them. It makes anything a nice customer would do seem pointless.

"The customer is always right," is a phrase often heard during my day at work. That is never the case. And while I will do everything to try and help you sometimes there truly is nothing that can be done.

The people that I work with, make my time there that much better. Talking to them makes the day fly by and any project we work on can be a fun one.

While working in retail can be fun, it's also very difficult. Every day is different depending on the type of customers. So remember, the next time you go out shopping, try to be nice to the people working in the stores.