It’s 2019, It’s Time To Start Treating Retail Workers With The Respect They Deserve

To anyone who enjoys shopping at the mall or any store for that matter, start treating the employees with some respect!

135

Dear shoppers,

On behalf of all my fellow individuals working in retail, including myself, stop treating us like we are terrible people.

If you enjoy shopping or buying gifts for people at the mall, or any store for that matter, stop treating the employees like you own the place because I can assure you, YOU DON'T!

I work as a key holder in retail and my biggest annoyance is when I get a customer that acts like I owe them something. I enjoy working in retail as I see it as fun and suitable due to the fact I enjoy fashion and clothing trends. So, please stop ruining it for me and everyone else that works in the store.

If I and everyone else in the store are doing our jobs correctly and trying our very best to make your experience pleasurable, then why do you act like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed? I mean if you did, that's fine, but me working in retail gives you no reason to disrespect me as I fold your clothes and put them in your bag for you.

And please don't EVEN get me started on the people that snap at me to get them a fitting room. I am not an animal. I am a human being that understands your needs. A simple, "May I have a fitting room?" is a standard question that I understand and can accommodate for you.

Also, if a fixture is marketed as "jeans 50% off" and you pick up a shirt off that same fixture and complain to me that the marketing is misleading, that's not any employees fault in the store because we don't design the marketing or pick the layout. Us retail employees are given a list of what is now on-sale and how the item should be marketed, so please stop yelling at us about it!

If you can't come into a clothing store and act respectful to the employees that are trying to help you and give you excellent customer service, then please just don't come in at all. It ruins our experience as employees.

I understand that you people might feel that it's okay to give attitude and sass to retail workers because most associates are teenagers or college kids, but news flash sister, it's not okay — especially when some of the employees really enjoy their job in retail.

Especially around the holiday season, you'd think that the customers would be more pleasant as holidays usually brings out the best in people, but to be completely honest most of you are so brutal. It's honestly just sad that some of you treat retail workers the way you do.

How would you feel if you were working so hard at your job and then a customer just came in and acted so brutal to you and made you feel terrible for no reason? Probably not so great, right. So treat others how you would like to be treated. I promise you, it's not that hard.

Now I know not every person that works in retail is the most bubbly or outgoing but everyone is there to make sure you find what you're looking for and to make sure that you essentially come back.

I've experienced some of the most awesome customers first hand and also some of the worst. It's bound to happen, but does it really have to happen? All that I'm saying is, if you want the best customer experience in your favorite store then come in and act like it's your favorite store.

Lastly, if you don't have experience working in retail, please do not tell me how to do my job because I know for a fact I would never try and tell you how to do yours if I didn't know how to do so.