Restaurant Guests, Please Consider The Following

We still need to help flatten the curve.

16

In the last week, states have begun reopening as well as restaurants since COVID-19 forced a shutdown. With reopenings, rules have been set in place to protect workers and citizens. In the state of Florida, restaurants are required to stay at 25% capacity, servers must wear personal protective gear, and parties must sit at tables that are 6 feet apart from one another. As a server, I know how desperate we all are to get back to normalcy and return back to how we lived our lives before. Although these precautions have made dining in tempting, guests need to consider multiple things prior to going in.

Please wear protective gear 

This past week I haven't seen any guests wear a mask or gloves, despite recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Without these protections, it leaves you, your loved ones, and those who are taking care of you at the restaurant at a higher risk to contract the Coronavirus.

We cannot take a photo of your family 

I know this may sound peculiar, but handing me your phone can spread the germs on my gloves to your hands. I have had at least two encounters of being asked to take a photo, and every time, it gets awkward.

Please tip appropriately 

Servers have been without a job for over a month and many of us have not received unemployment from the state - tipping us appropriately is crucial now more than ever. Our families depend on it.

This includes take-out

I get it. You aren't dining in, why do you need to tip? Servers still have to take the order, bag the food, make sure everything is there while attending multiple other to-go orders, and their own tables.

Your patience is appreciated 

Although the restaurant is running under 25% capacity for dine-in, we are struggling to take care of our table as our kitchen and server staff are reduced to maintaining social distancing. Our gloves are constantly needed to be changed and our hands need to be washed. Menus are needed to be cleaned after each use.

At the end of the day, we appreciate your business and want you and your family to remain healthy. In order to continue to flatten the curve and protect hospitals from an overwhelming influx of cases, we have to practice safe distancing despite restaurants reopening.