Response to "To College Kids Bankrolled By Their Parents, You Can't Put 'Spoiled' On A Resume"

I don't need "daddy" to pay my credit card bill my whole life. Luckily he raised me to work hard so I can pay for it on my own someday.

454
Odyssey Online

Growing up, I never had things handed to me unless it was a present for a holiday or my birthday. I did chores for my allowance. Until I was 9, for most of my life it had just been my mom and I. I saw her work a full time job, go to college online, and send me to a private school all by herself. She taught me what it was to have a work ethic.

At 12 years old, I was allowed to get my first cell phone. However, I was only allowed to purchase this cell phone with my own money once I achieved straight A's. When I got all A's and one B, my mom and step-dad made me write an essay as to why it would be beneficial for me to have a cell phone.

At 15 I had my first job. I worked at a burger place making minimum wage. Because I was so young, my parents would have to drive me to and from work whenever I had a shift. I loved this job, though, and it taught me many things about responsibility and working hard for your money. I had a job up until the middle of my senior year. My mom supported my decision to leave my job and to focus on school and having fun for the rest of high school.

Fast forward three years to my freshman year of college. My parents pay my tuition, housing, food, and I also received a monthly allowance in order to do fun things. You wanna know something... I am not a spoiled brat because of it. I always told my parents that I wanted to get a job and my mom always told me that I never needed to, and only to do it if I knew it would not affect me and my schoolwork.

My sophomore year of college came around, and my mom passed away suddenly, leaving only my step dad and I. That year he bought me a car with some money left by my mom. It was my first car. I had permission to use and borrow my parents cars in high school, but had never had my own. I am not spoiled because my step dad chose to buy me a car. This decision was made because he wanted me to be able to come home from college whenever I wanted without having to find a ride or take the 8 hour long trek by train and bus just to spend a weekend at home.

I know some people are not as fortunate as I am. I understand that and I have understood that my entire life. BUT, that does not mean that I am spoiled or a brat and I do not expect "daddy" to pay for my credit card, car, housing or anything else after I have a full-time job and have graduated. Wanting your child to have a good foundation when they are pushed out into the real world is not a crime. I am extremely lucky that I will not have student loans to pay off or debt of any other kind.

I should not have to live in a shoe box apartment just because I cannot afford something nicer. My step dad understands this. Honestly, he more than anyone wants me to have a strong work ethic and understand the value of money. He and I spent the summer working out budgets for the year so I could understand where his and my money is going so that once I am paying for it all myself, I will not be shocked when I realize how much it actually costs to live.

So, Miss Crabb, do not make generalizations. Do not assume because someone's parents pay for a majority of their expenses that they are spoiled, and do not assume that their life is easy. I know my step dad will not always pay for everything in my life, but right now it is something I do not need to stress out about and I can focus on school and myself to make sure I even have a future to look forward to where I can pay for everything myself.