4 Valuable Lessons I Have Learned This Semester

Sharing my recipe to a happy and healthy lifestyle and mindset!

51

As I've mentioned before in my previous articles, I am so overjoyed to be completed almost a year in college and its' been a fun ride. Throughout this year, I have seen myself immensely grow as a person, and hope to every day.

I have compiled 4 things that I hope will be useful to take with you during summer and for the rest of the semester. These things will reflect what really matters in life, other than grades, activities, social life...etc because each one of us is a winner at the end of the day.

1. If you need help, ask for it.

I have a hard time asking for help because I am very independent and feel that I am capable of doing everything by myself-which I can't. I chose to deal with my problems on my own until it becomes a big of an issue. I am always scared of what the other person may say/think, and if they will judge me.

However, I realized that asking for help is crucial because there are plenty of people around us that are willing to help us. Whether is a personal problem or academic, reaching out is taking a step forward to end your struggles and just be real and authentic. From personal experience, I went to a counselor for the first time this semester and I glad I did because I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"You are never strong enough that you don't need help." - Cesar Chavez

2. This your marathon and you will reach the finishing line.

Humans have a natural tendency to compare ourselves to others, based on their overall success and happiness. Stop right there. What we should be doing is reminding ourselves that people's "outsides" can't be compared to your "insides."

There is a completely different story behind closed doors because there is something positive happening in each of our lives, so we should celebrate that and move forward. I am a perfectionist at times, I have a tough time accepting that there is limited hours in the day and ample of tasks. I fall into the loophole of forcing myself to accomplish everything in one day. So, focus on your individual talent and success limit resentment towards ourselves.

“Comparison is the thief of joy.” - Theodore Roosevelt

3. " But I'm not good enough."

There are days when allowing my inner critic to vanquish my self-esteem, until I dislike myself too much to accomplish anything, to the point I want to eat junk, binge Netflix and sleep. Why can't I just embrace my strengths and move forward?

This semester I stopped doing a lot of things because I was focused on achieving well that I shut all opportunities where I could have flourished my capabilities. For example, I stop attending a club meeting or going to the gym.

I told myself "I have too much, I can't waste time." Furthermore, it even led to unhealthy sleeping and eating habits. Don't make the mistakes I did and always follow your heart. When your heart and mind are in one place, you can logical decisions to pursue what matters the most to you.

"We can't hate ourselves into a version of ourselves we can love." - Lori Deschene

4. It's okay to disappoint your parents

Most of us dislike disappointing our parents because we want them to proud of us and applaud us, to ensure were towards the right path in life. We can all accept that pleasing everyone isn't possible and that means you are not a 'failure'.

I'm not saying abandon your responsibilities and actions, but don't waste your time living the life your parents want you to live. Unless your parents are absolutely perfect (spoiler alert: they aren't), they are well aware of the struggles of being a young-adult and they know that you're trying.

"Do you, Boo Boo. Be Happy." - Zendaya