10 Suicide Prevention Resources

10 Resources You Need To Know About If You’ve Struggled With Suicidal Ideation

Asking for help is the bravest thing you can do.

2405

These resources are important for ANYONE to know about. Knowing how to help yourself and others with suicidal ideation can save a life.

Please note: If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, please call 911.

1. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

This national lifeline is available 24/7. It is free and confidential, offering emotional support to those in crisis. You can call or chat online with someone that will help.

Call them at 1-800-273-8255

Or you can contact their online chat option here.

2. Crisis Text Line

Don't want to call or message on a website? There is a crisis text line. This line is available 24/7, is free, and for anyone in crisis.

To activate a text chat, text HOME to 741741.

3. The Trevor Project 

The Trevor Project is a resource for LGBTQ youth that may be experiencing a crisis or suicidal ideation. The Trevor Project is available through a hotline, an online chat, and a text. There is also an online support center available.

Hotline: 866-488-7386 (this is 24/7)

The online chat is available here, seven days a week (3 p.m. to 10 p.m. EST/12 p.m. to 7 p.m. PST. )

To text, send START to 678678 (available Mon-Fri 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. EST/12 p.m. to 7 p.m. PST)

4. The Veterans Crisis Line

The Veterans Crisis Line is a free and confidential place that is managed by responders from the Department of Veterans Affairs. You do not need to be registered or enrolled with the VA to utilize this line. These resources are available 24/7.

Call: 800-273-8255 and press 1

Text: 838255

The online chat is available here.

If you are hard of hearing, call 800-799-4889.

5. SAMHSA's National Helpline

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) helpline is for those who are struggling with substance abuse and/or a mental health crisis. This line is available in English and Spanish, free, and is 24/7.

Call: 800-662-HELP (4357)

6. IMAlive

This is a virtual crisis center that has trained volunteers who can help in crisis situations. You can find information and contact them on their website.

7. 7 Cups of Tea

This is an online resource that allows you to chat with people trained to help in a crisis, including online therapists and counselors. It is available 24/7, free, and anonymous.

8. To Write Love On Her Arms

One of the most nationally known organizations surrounding mental health is TWLOHA. You can find help for any type of situation on their website.

9. Jed Foundation 

This non-profit foundation provides support for teens and young adults that may be struggling or in a crisis. It also provides information on how to help others, not just yourself, that may be suicidal or struggling mentally.

10. ADAA Online Support Group

This online support group allows you to have a safe place to share information and experiences that may be affecting you. It is a supportive community that wants to see you thrive.

Please know that you are strong and that you will get through whatever life throws at you. Please reach out to any of these resources, your close friends, trusted adults, etc. Getting yourself help is a STRONG thing to do, and you can do it because you are STRONG.