My Experience With Pet Rescuing

My Experience With Pet Rescuing

It wasn't just the cat that was rescued

2
My Experience With Pet Rescuing
Bryttany Dove

Cats and I kind of go together just like peanut butter and jelly no matter how cliche that is. I have four cats, all whom I love dearly with the exception of the days that they have their little cat attitudes. I can promise you that when I grow up, I will be that cat lady-- and that has no effect on me.

Cats have always been a safety for me, especially my Sadie. The family cat died in October of my fourth grade year and on May 18th, I came home to the littlest kitten I have ever seen. She was entirely white except for her gray nose and grey ears. She had the prettiest blue eyes that reminded you of an ocean. She was beautiful and she instantly became my other half. I never imagined what would happen when I went away to school, but all of a sudden I was hours away in another state other than Sadie and I quickly had to learn how to live without her, even when all I needed was my cuddle buddy.

I was almost done with my freshman year of college and I was counting down the days until I was reunited with my little Sadie. Before I knew it, I was intertwined with a 7-week-old kitten that gave me complete happiness. There was a lot that caused this like a professor whose cat died, friends who have allergic parents, and an attachment to a kitten that I did not want to break. I had no idea what the reaction would be of my parents, but I was determined to make sure it was a good one.

For the last couple of days of school, it was just Salvador and I in my dorm room which seemed like a jungle to a little kitten. Every hour he was finding a new spot to play in or something new to play with. I did not realize how much I needed that cat until the second night I was with him when he snuggled into my hand and started purring up a little kitty storm. I realized he was not the one who was rescued, but it was me.

Salvador may be an 8-week-old kitten, but he is the biggest joy in my life (just don't tell any of my other cats, especially Sadie). All of his little hops and bounces and the way he falls asleep wherever whenever he wants gets me every time.

So the moral of the story? If you ever are thinking about rescuing a pet, please do. You are not just saving them, you are saving yourself and bringing yourself more happiness than you ever thought you could have.