A Few Reminders You Might Need Right Now

Things to remember when you feel like you just can't school.

9
gc-solutions.net

Summer is over and school has begun. While I'm sure most of us are just overjoyed to throw on those old backpacks, buy some new pencils and head to that beautiful tyrannical place where learning abounds and joy is found through the true discovery of one's purpose in life, some of us are not so overyjoyed at the concept of school for nine months. Actually, a lot of you are probably spending your nights facedown on the floor, contemplating why you even have to learn about meiosis and the quadratic formula when obviously your true destiny lies here, on this floor, with no responsibilities and limitless time. So here's a few reminders for those of you in the middle of an existential crisis, things that I as a struggling college student, often have to repeat to myself over and over.

1. Here's a reminder that you are smart.

It may not feel like it right now, but you are. We all sometimes get caught up in our own heads and make ourselves feel like less than we are, but you are just as intelligent as the person next to you in class. It's perfectly okay if you don't get the material as fast as your peers, and there is no shame whatsoever in seeking out help. You are intelligent, and if you apply yourself you can do anything.

2. Here's a reminder that school is kind of cool.

Okay, so school might not be as fun as a night out on the town with friends, or a trip to Universal Studios (I'm coming for you eventually, Diagon Alley), but school is kind of cool sometimes. You are studying something that's going to help you later in life, and the mere fact of you being in school is a privilege that thousands of kids around the world don't get. So use that education, and work to make the world a better place. Even if it doesn't seem like Health class or Geography 200 is going to propel you super far in life, every small, insignificant course that you take is pushing you towards that big, bright goal of finishing your education.

3. Here's a reminder that you are loved.

Here's that reminder that you have friends and family who love you and want to see you succeed. I know that I tend to get caught up in the amount of work I have to do, and then feel bad when I cut friends or family time out of my plans. The fact is that your friends are just as busy and productive as you are, and they understand when you can't hang out. Your family is proud of you for working hard, and they'll be even prouder when they see you walking across that field to get your diploma. Here's a reminder also not to isolate yourself. Don't get so buried in all that work that no one else can find you. Organize your time, and you will be happier for it.

4. Here's a reminder to eat well.

Seriously, eat at least two meals a day. Don't just grab that Clif bar and go, actually make time to sit down and eat in your day. Not only will this keep you healthy, but you will enjoy a few minutes of semi-peace while you scarf down a sandwich from the student center convienance store.

5. And here's a reminder to stay hydrated.

Drink water, just drink water. You can't possibly hate water that much, it literally tastes like nothing. Drink at least a bottle of water a day, especially in these excruciatingly hot first few months of school. Dehydration can lead to all sorts of bad things, ranging anywhere from mild exhaustion to heat strokes. Just suck it up and drink some water, your body will thank you.

6. Here's a reminder to study.

Rewrite your notes, make flashcards, make up a song in your head about the many different Phyla of Fungi. Find some way to make those words and pictures stick in your mind, and do it before the day of the final. Preferably do it wayy before the midterm. Do your homework and stay on top of reading, don't beat yourself up for one bad grade, just work to make a better grade the next time.

7. Here's a reminder that it's okay to freak out.

I haven't known a single college student who's gotten through a year without some sort of freak out or mental breakdown. I'm sure the ever elusive overachieving student who is always on top of everything and never experiences stress exists, but I've yet to meet them. The stress of so much work, topped with being an adult, gets to all of us eventually. There will be nights where you cannot physically do anything but look at that pre-calculus problem on your computer and cry, and that's okay. Let yourself freak out for one night, and you'll find that little things don't freak you out so much tomorrow.

8. And here's a reminder to take care of your mind.

Having said that about freaking out, please be careful and monitor your mental health. Take time to yourself, go out with friends, and make sure that this one homework assignment doesn't stress you to the point of an absolute breakdown. Your professors are always there to help, and more than likely there are mental health resources available to you on campus that are probably free to students. Check yourself every now and then, and if you think something is seriously wrong (as in depression, anxiety, etc...), take advantage of these facilities and get some help. All the good grades in the world aren't worth your mental health.

9. Here's a reminder to budget your money.

As college students, we know how fast that monthly salary goes. Buy a few books, grab lunch with a friend and suddenly you've spent $500 (admittedly, you probably spent about $485 of it on the books). Instead of winging it every time that sweet check comes in the mail, take some time and write down all your income and expenses for the next month. Make sure you can stretch this money for everything you need to pay off or save up, and then worry about new clothes or lunch at your favorite sushi bar. It will stave off some of that school anxiety, and it will make you start to feel like an actual adult.

10. Here's a reminder to have fun.

Have fun, but also manage the amount of time you take to have fun and the ways you have fun. While going to a party once a month with a few friends isn't going to ruin your life, partying every single night definitely will. So maybe opt for a chill night in binging Netflix instead of the nearest frat party, but don't let these four years slip by without doing at least a few fun things or going a few places that your school is known for.