A Reminder For This Valentine's Day

A Reminder For This Valentine's Day

How losing a loved one changed my perspective on February's famous holiday.

108
https://unsplash.com/photos/5g8exOobDjg
https://unsplash.com/photos/5g8exOobDjg

I never had a special someone on Valentine's Day. Maybe you think that's sad, or maybe you figure there's one in a million of people like me, maybe you included. But whatever you think of it, I don't mind.

Because of that empty romantic void in my life, when Valentine's Day comes around, I try to focus on family instead. I've always written cards for my parents and younger brother, and close friends. I always try to remind myself of despite how I may lack a 'significant other,' I really still am loved. So deeply and so greatly.

This year's February 14th is especially significant for me. Because it marks the first February 14th without my grandmother. She passed away February 3rd, and despite how we all knew it was inevitable, we could never truly prepare ourselves for that fateful day.

Regardless of how difficult this past week was for our family, we tried to make the best of it. Rather than dwell in the tragedy and mourning, we tried to still find happiness in the hours of our days. We tried to celebrate my grandmother as best we could, tried to cherish time with one another, share a few laughs and bask in the nostalgia of the past. I don't think I've told my parents I loved them more than I did last week. And I think I usually tell them that a lot. But something about loss makes you hold onto moments more profoundly.

As this marks my first loss of a loved one, I've realized the importance in cherishing all the times we have with those we admire most deeply. If I've discovered anything, it's to live each day like it's your last. Not meaning that we must always think of death, but rather to take full advantage of all the living moments.

So this Valentine's Day, tell your family, your boyfriend, girlfriend, brothers, sisters and friends how much you love them. Because they love you too, and without them, what happiness would we have?

I'm so grateful for all those who love me, and I vow to always tell them that, regardless if its February 14th or not .