Remember, Remember The 21st Of September

Celebration of UWC Day around the world
30

UWC, if it has not obvious so for from my previous articles, stands for United World Colleges. These part schools-part civic engagement institutions work towards the reform of education as we know it today. Therefore, it's not a surprise that students and officials grew to like the UWC movement and celebrate it with UWC day. This day is celebrated in all of the UWC schools and in different unofficial alumni meetings.

I was a part of a small Chicago UWC alumni meeting which was cute, but this time I would like to highlight the bigger events that happened in various UWC schools.

UWC Robert Bosch (Germany) celebrates its day by organizing a piece workshop. Students get assigned into different conflict zones by colors and attempt to talk the conflicts out using some personal stories and global engagement logic.

UWC Red Cross Nordic (Norway) took a more official approach. On the UWC day the ambassadors of all Nordic countries gather and have a public discussion about the role that Nordic region plays in education, and the role of education on the global society.

UWC Dilijan (Armenia) celebrate the day in various ways which change every year. This year they included panel discussions, movie screenings and cultural exchange events.

UWC Changshu (China) took the UWC day to a whole new level, by organizing activities and workshops through the day. Therefore, they turned this day into a on day conference filled with discussions about piece and sustainable future.

Of course, there are eleven more schools who did an amazing job celebrating the September 21st in their own way, but I will be biased here and say that UWC Mostar had by far, the most engaging event:

UWC Mostar (Bosnia and Herzegovina) started a new tradition, two years ago. On UWC day the city square is filled with a stands, each representing a certain country. The stands are full of national food, souvenirs, flags, etc, etc. Behind the stands, ready to greet you are people form more than 40 countries from all six populated continents. They're usually dressed in their national costumes and interact with citizens of Mostar with the help of local translators. The even is called 'Around the world in 80 minutes' and for these 80 minutes, citizens are encouraged to pick one of the 'global citizen' passports and go around the stands getting a stamp from every country. The whole day is fun not only for the guest, but for the UWC Mostar students as well and I really feel bad for having to miss it this year.

So keep in mind, if on the 21st of September, anywhere in the world you find a group of hippie looking, loud and friendly people in national costumes, make sure to say hi, because they're very likely to offer you some food.