Remember To Be Kind

Remember To Be Kind

Showing humility, grace and kindness in an often dark and selfish world is of utmost importance.

249
Remember To Be Kind
Rajiv Vishwa

Nothing compares to the deep joy I feel when I witness someone performing a random act of kindness. In a time when negativity dominates the news and people tend to be self-serving, I genuinely appreciate the good in people and remember that light still shines in this often-bleak world.

Too often, people don’t put enough effort into treating others how they ought to. What might seem as an insignificant gesture to you might make someone else’s day. Doesn’t it feel amazing to be another person’s reason to smile?

There are so many ways we can brighten the days of others, whether it’s by paying a well-deserved compliment or showing some compassion. An act as simple as someone opening a door for another person brings a smile to my face. Once people begin to notice acts of genuine kindness around them, it sparks a trend. Witnessing such instances make us happy, inspiring us to evoke that feeling in others.

I truly admire my dad's constant attempts to better any situation. A few years ago, my family was standing in a crowded gym at my little cousin's basketball game. My dad noticed a woman standing with her little boy, so he went and found a couple chairs somewhere in the building so they could sit down. The woman was very grateful for his kind gesture, and it caught a lot of people off guard. I hope that his actions inspired bystanders to go out of their way and do something nice for someone else that day. I wish more people shared his desire to do whatever it takes to make someone's day.

Too many people amble through life demanding something from the world. In reality, the world doesn’t owe them anything. We all have a responsibility to make positive contributions to the world around us. And honestly, the kindness you put out comes right back to you. Taking a minute out of your busy day to do something for someone else yields so much more.

Don’t act like you are better than anyone else. Arrogance is so unattractive. You can be confident and proud of your accomplishments without acting superior to others. Humility is such an admirable quality. The world does not revolve around you; we should focus on what you can do for others. Appreciate your strengths and have confidence in your abilities, but don’t act like others need to acknowledge them.

It’s so easy to judge someone based on ignorance or a simple misunderstanding. But the truth is, you never know what someone else is going through. Give ample amounts of grace, allowing people a chance to show you their genuine selves before forming an opinion of them. I always regret prematurely judging someone. I know that I’m not going to get along with everyone I meet, but I try my best to get to know someone before I decide how I feel about them.

By writing this article, my intention is not to condemn readers for being selfish. I promise I am not trying to say that anyone is a bad person. I am very grateful for all the people in this world who spend their days spreading kindness and shining a little light on those around them.

My hope in writing this is that people will be reminded to be cognizant of how they treat others on any given day. Maybe this article will prompt you to perform a random act of kindness. What if we all made it our personal goal to show light to others on a daily basis?