Curly Haired Girls, We All Understand These 12 Struggles

I get knots just thinking about my curly hair

309

Having curly hair my entire life has been a blessing and a curse. It took a long time to get used to how to style my hair and even most days I can't always get it right. These are some of the struggles me and other curly haired girls have to go through on the regular.

1. Figuring out which days to wash your hair.

This may come as a shock to some people but when you have curly hair, you don't have to wash it every day. My hair doesn't get as oily as people with straight hair and if I wash it every day it becomes extremely dried out. Personally, my hair looks the best right after I wash it so it's very hard to plan out when I should wash it. Having multiple times a week that I need my curls to really look good is a lot of planning out.

2. People telling me I should use a dime or quarter amount of conditioner.

When people tell me they use a dime or quarter size amount of conditioners, I look at them with such shock. I use an entire handful of conditioner when I am conditioning my hair. This makes me use up almost two conditioners before I need to buy a new shampoo.

3. My hair gets literally everywhere.

My sister refers to me as Chewbacca when I stay at her house for long periods of time because I hair gets everywhere. It's similar to having a long haired dog; I hair just sheds any and everywhere.

4. No being able to blow dry my hair.

This isn't that much of a problem in the summer as much as in the winter when I can't just walking around with wet hair. If I blow dry my hair it will look extremely frizzy and crazy. Yes, I know you can use a diffuser on curly hair to blow dry it but those you have to be extremely delicate with or my hair will look crazy frizzy.

5. When you straight iron your hair and this is the compliment you get: "Your hair looks so good straight. You should do that more often".

I have a hate/love feeling about this compliment. I love that people are complimenting me on how I am doing my hair because straight ironing my hair isn't an easy thing to do. With that being said it's a time-consuming tasking, I don't like when people tell me I should straight iron it more. Do you not like my hair curly?

6. Having your hair so long straight then looking inches shorter once its curly.

Every time I get my hair cut or I straight iron it myself, my hair looks so long. Then the second it's curly again my hair shrunk also three inches.

7. Dreading haircuts.

With curly hair it is very easy to cut it wrong then you are stuck with your hair looking bad for weeks or months. Not all hair stylists are used to cutting curly hair which is why I hate getting my hair cut.

8. Not being able to cut your hair short.

I'm not sure if it's the way my hair curls or the way my face is shaped but my hair short does not look right on me. My curls frizz up the shorter they are and make me look like a bobblehead.

9. People touching my hair.

When people try and touch my hair or play with it I cringe so much. Curls are very fragile, if you pull at them to touch my hair it will be a puffy mess.

10. Not being able to use a brush.

For the same reasons I don't let people play with my hair, I don't brush it. The only times I can brush through my hair is if I am straight ironing my hair which is very little which is why I don't own a brush. I always get such a confused look from people when they ask me if they can borrow a brush and I tell them I don't own one.

11. Having rainy or humid days ruin your hair.

Rain can do one of two things to my hair. One it can either dampen my hair and help my curls form together better or two it can make my extremely frizzy.

12. Deciding if I want to risk ruining my curls by putting my hair up.

Having curly hair can feel like a scarf on your neck. It can weigh you down and make you feel extremely hot. This is why I like putting my hair in a ponytail or bun but if I put it up my curls all mess up. It's a struggle between wanting cute curls and not wanting your hair down.